Author Topic: Trying to upload results to gedmatch.com  (Read 932 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Trying to upload results to gedmatch.com
« on: Wednesday 06 December 17 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello:

I saved a RootsChatter's instructions about how to upload raw data to gedmatch.com.  They were very good instructions but my computer illiterate mind apparently can't complete the process.  I followed the instructions including:
downloaded the raw data from Ancestry.
I created an account with gedmatch.com.  I have not/will not open the zip file.

I am stuck on:
"...follow your dna company instructions how to upload...you will get a number..keep it safe!"

This is where the tech-y part of me falls apart.   ;)  What do I do now, please?  I don't see instructions about how to upload (they're probably right in front of my face).  :-\  Any guidance very much appreciated.  Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to upload results to gedmatch.com
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 December 17 01:59 GMT (UK) »
It's been a while since I've done it, but this page gives a  pretty detailed explanation - http://www.dnaadoption.com/uploads/DNAadoption/DNAadoption_files/UsingGedmatch.pdf

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 December 17 02:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much, I will check it out now.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Kimbrey

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 December 17 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Lisa

Are you uploading to the  newer "Genesis Beta" site on Gedmatch ?

Instructions bottom right of Home Page

Kim

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 December 17 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kim:

Thank you for asking; I am not sure what I was doing.

I tried following the directions and seemed to somehow get stuck in a continuous loop.  I gave up after a few minutes as while I would dearly love to check out any possible results on gedmatch, it wasn't worth the time and frustration; at the moment I unfortunately have other issues that are of greater concern.

Possible matches on Ancestry have been exciting to try to uncover, but since I only have one ancestor who was born in America (and settled in Canada a few years after his birth), I thought I might possibly find more matches on gedmatch (but, perhaps I am incorrect with that theory).

Thank you shellyesq and Kim for your attempt at helping.  Perhaps I may try again in the future (or try on a different device - perhaps it is my chrome box [computer] that is impeding my progress).

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to upload results to gedmatch.com - Completed
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 December 17 19:08 GMT (UK) »
With the help of another kind RootsChatter, she was able to figure out where I was went wrong (I didn't need to go into the instructions section, I only had to fill out information under the instructions).  Thank you all for your guidance.   :)