Author Topic: Where would you find the grave  (Read 7400 times)

Offline LEMB

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where would you find the grave
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 10 December 17 13:02 GMT (UK) »
You do also have to remember that Workhouse did not always mean just that.  A lot of hospitals were attached to a Workhouse, and it may just have been that Thomas was in the Hospital, rather than in inmate.

Yes i think it was used as a hospital at some stage :) when i have looked on the records, i think he was a Butcher there.

Offline LEMB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 10 December 17 13:03 GMT (UK) »

thank you for the information, how do i look for a plot register? i didn't think it was possible!

thank you. :)

You have to contact the owners of the cemetery (possibly the local council, through their crematorium office) who will hold the plot register.

Cheers
Guy

what cemetery would it have been under if he was in the workhouse? thank you!

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 10 December 17 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Your best bet is to contact Conwy Archive Service, based in Llandudno.   The burial register you found on FindMyPast does not indicate which church performed the burial service.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline clivejones

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 28 December 20 22:05 GMT (UK) »
laurenbailey - you say that the death certificate gives an address of 12 Waen Terrace, Conwy.  You also attached a link to the burial register, where Thomas Roberts is shown as having lived at 12 Waen Terrace.  Did you not also notice that of the 16 entries on those 2 pages of the burial register, 8 of them had the address of 12 Waen Terrace?

Yes i did notice a lot of other people died at the same address and i had tried to find out if they had a grave at all even if thomas did not have one, but i had no luck in finding them :(

I think I can confirm that 12 Waen Terrace was some kind of institution as my Great-Grandfather also was registered at that address at his death and he went insane and was taken away from his family after he tried to burn the house down!

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 18 January 21 17:33 GMT (UK) »

thank you for the information, how do i look for a plot register? i didn't think it was possible!

thank you. :)

You have to contact the owners of the cemetery (possibly the local council, through their crematorium office) who will hold the plot register.

Cheers
Guy

what cemetery would it have been under if he was in the workhouse? thank you!
That depends on the workhouse, some buried people who died in the workhouse in the local cemetery or the churchyard of the parish church, others would return the deceased to their place of settlement.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.