Author Topic: The MILES/GAULT (really SMITH) Family  (Read 7454 times)

Offline tarajobrien

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
The MILES/GAULT (really SMITH) Family
« on: Friday 30 July 04 08:05 BST (UK) »
Hi

just wondering if any one out there is related to my family.

The father of the family is Elijah Smith born Anstey end of 1858, my 2nd great grandfather.
Sometime between his birth in 1858 and the 1871 census Elijah's father died and his mother married John Miles a horse dealer and farmer. Before the 1871 census she also dies. Elijah and his sister Emily (deaf form birth/childhood) on the 1871 census still have the surname of Smith. Their surname is changed to Miles sometime between 1871 and 1876 when Elijah married in London. Emily was on the 1881 as Emily Miles living with Stepfather John Smith, she married William Pateman.

The Miles family is as follows:
Elijah Miles born Anstey 1858 - a horse dealer and farmer
Caroline Ann Miles (nee Gault) born Standon 1856. A dress maker
George Miles born 1877 Standon
John Miles born 1879 Standon
Florence Julia Miles christened 08 MAY 1881 Standon (married Ernest Alfred Woodrow in 1901)
Ellai/Alice born 1886 Standon (cannot make out her name very well on census's.
Frederick Charles Miles born 1889 Puckeridge
Georgina Miles born Sept Qtr 1891 Bishops Stortford (This is the district so actual birthplace is possibly Little Hadham as that is where they were living in 1891) -> my great grandmother
Horace Albert Miles born 1894 Standon
Dorothy Rose Miles born 1898 Standon. never married and worked in a mental institution until she died when her house burnt down in late 1950's - (taking the family tree with it)

My grandad remembers 2 of the sons not marrying, maybe living in Little Hadham and one son moving to Australia, but he can't remember who, i'm working on jogging his memory.

i don't know much about the Gault side of the family
Caroline Ann Gault's mother is Amelia Gault chr in St Marylebone on 14/6/1881 . She was a Licensed Victualler of the Windmill Inn in Standon. On the 1871 census she is a widow. I do not have proof of her husband but i believe it to be James Felstead Gault as there exists a marriage of an an Amelia Carswell to a James Felstead Gault in a year that could be about right and from searching i have found the name Gault on few occasions. They had 3 daughters Mary (married George Joslen), Emma (married Robert Frederick Bellows) and Caroline Ann.

if you think you might be related please drop me a line :)

Tara

i have all census' between 1871 and 1901
Hertfordshire(Anstey, the Hadham, Reed, Standon): Gault, Hoy, Miles, Smith
Shropshire(Aston Botterell,Burwarton,Stoke St Milborough,Wheathill): Angell, Blackmore, Blakemore, Bennett, Pheysey
Essex(Dunmow,West Ham): Allen, Blackmore, Carr, Sutton
Warwickshire(Birmingham,Edgbaston): Angell
Yorkshire(Doncaster,Hull): Brooks, Doe
London/Middlesex area(Battersea,Wandsworth, Willesden): Angell, Brooks, Carr, Carswell, Salkind
Norfolk (Norwich,Nth Walsham,Lynn,Gt Yarmouth): Carr, Salkind

Offline kud

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: The Miles/Gault (really Smith) Family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 September 05 12:00 BST (UK) »
hey my name is Andrew Gault, i started searching my family history and came across this site and saw your post, i don't have any idea if we are related in any way but i'm interested in finding out.

Offline tarajobrien

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: The MILES/GAULT (really SMITH) Family
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 September 05 00:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrew

Welcome to Rootschat

I have found more information about the Gault family.

Amelia Carswell did married James Felstead Gault on 22 DEC 1850 in Shoreditch. James father was William Gault (born abt 1779 died 9 Jun 1837) a baker and his mother was Ann (born about 1786 died 16 Nov 1856).

I think that William and Ann had 4 children; William Charles, Joseph, James Felstead, and Elizabeth. Perhaps you descend from William Charles or Joseph?

There is a Gault family in a few towns in Suffolk at around the same time. I am not sure if they are related to my Gaults, else the surname Gault seems to have come form Ireland.

good luck searching  ;D
cheers
Tara
Shropshire(Aston Botterell,Burwarton,Stoke St Milborough,Wheathill): Angell, Blackmore, Blakemore, Bennett, Pheysey
London/Middlesex area(Battersea,Wandsworth, Willesden): Angell, Brooks, Carr, Carswell, Salkind

Offline tarajobrien

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 September 05 00:22 BST (UK) »
Also for anymore on the Miles/Smith side of the family. In the 1861 census Elijah and Emily Smith are living with their mother Matilda and John Miles in a caravan, all under the name Miles and states Matilda and John are married?? Only more confusion!! But perhaps John is the children's father??

::) ::)
Tara

Offline Philip Bonnett

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 March 20 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tara,

Although I am not related to the Miles family in Standon I did know George Miles when I was a very young boy in Wellpond Green, Standon who lived in a Caravan there. He is buried in Standon Churchyard as I have the burial records of this church as it is where my grandfather is buried on my mother's side. I do in fact have a photo of him taken in the early 50`s in his caravan of which you may wish to have a copy, if so please let me know.

Kind Regards
Phil Bonnett

Offline tarajobrien

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 March 20 08:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Phillip,

Wonderful, that would be great. I'll send you a private message.

cheers,
Tara

Offline LeeVTHarrison

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 April 20 22:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Tara

Elijah is my - let me count - my great-great-great grandfather. I think this is the family line below.

Elijah
Frederick Miles
Fred Miles-married Eva Taylor
Eileen Miles-married Vic Cannon
Ruby Cannon
Me

I was just a bit stunned when I sat here during the lockdown thinking I’ll see how far back I can go. Eva, my great-grandma and Fred (junior)‘s wife told me they met in Bishop’s Stortford while she was in the housekeeping service there in the 1920s. Grandad was a Petty Officer in the Navy. He died in 1958 so I never met him, neither died my mum really - she was 2 I think. But I saw where Elijah was born. A tiny village in Hertfordshire with a few hundred people. I used to live there, in a coverted stables that is next to the church where he would have been baptised - I’m guessing - and backing out on the fields he would have worked on. There aren’t many places there...just bizarre. I’m sure you’ve made much more progress than me with your tree but it’s kinda cool to find out that the church next to your house - literally 30 feet away - was where your family is used to go. And I guess we’re related!

Best wishes
Lee

Offline tarajobrien

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 April 20 05:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Lee,

Great to hear from you. I'll send you a PM :)

cheers,
Tara