Author Topic: William Holmes birth in Ireland 1844 or 1850  (Read 6251 times)

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Holmes birth in Ireland 1844 or 1850
« Reply #27 on: Friday 16 February 18 04:18 GMT (UK) »
HI

even if the family is or is partly english /irish or whatever.  William was married there and lived there and he is said to have been born there. If he was not then there ought to be a record in England and that also cannot be found.  If he was born in Ireland there should be an Irish record somewhere.

one of Mark Gilbert's descendants has contacted me re Harriet Ann Holmes. Still waiting on that outcome.

Essnell.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 16 February 18 09:48 GMT (UK) »
HI

even if the family is or is partly english /irish or whatever.  William was married there and lived there and he is said to have been born there. If he was not then there ought to be a record in England and that also cannot be found.  If he was born in Ireland there should be an Irish record somewhere.
one of Mark Gilbert's descendants has contacted me re Harriet Ann Holmes. Still waiting on that outcome.
Essnell.

No, if he was born in Ireland there may not be a record, or at least not one easily found. Civil registration of birth started in 1864. For earlier dates you need to find a baptism- not all survive and of those that do not all are online.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 17 February 18 13:21 GMT (UK) »
HI

Essnell.

I hope you find something from that descendant.
As you know the quality and quantity of Irish records varies and certainly access to Roman Catholic Records has improved very much in recent years. However, your ancestors were not R.C.
I don’t quite understand what you mean about being up against all the divisions and Clogheen ‘wriggling in and out’ etc so you might have looked here already.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lli/

You will see that Clogheen shows no information except to look at Shanrahan. That parish shows some records are available on RootsIreland, a subscription site, although you can have a one day subscription, it seems.
http://www.rootsireland.ie

I have looked at RI search for William Holmes, South Tipperary. None show for a birth of 1845 +/- 5 yrs but one shows 1855/1860. There is no indication re parish or any other details without payment so who knows!

As aghadowey says, there may be no record at all.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 18 February 18 00:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heywood and Aghadowey,

thanks -----   there are relatives here somewhere who may have more info but i do not know any of them.

recently someone has found a birth Cert stuffed in an ols tin box and in bad condition for another person . an it could not be found on line at all.   

I'll keep hoping.  It is recorded in the Family bible though. so it may be accurate.

thanks - I'll leave this open...  you never know what may come up  or who may read this.

cheers Essnell.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 18 February 18 08:11 GMT (UK) »
As explained, you will not have a birth certificate if the birth is before 1864.

Do you have the birth recorded in the Family Bible? If so, I wonder why the age range is so great.

Reading your last message though, I think you are saying that you have the one stuffed in the box, which is a different person, and this is in the bible but not online.

Just to reiterate that Church of Ireland records are not as available as RC which do have parish records online.

Since you now have parents and sibling in a place you already had, you have made good progress. The only other thing I can think of is  to check the parish registers on RootsIreland just in case but that is a risk. This seems to be the research centre which you may already have tried.
http://www.tipperary.com/tipperary-south-genealogy-centre

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 18 February 18 08:20 GMT (UK) »
As explained, you will not have a birth certificate if the birth is before 1864.

Do you have the birth recorded in the Family Bible? If so, I wonder why the age range is so great.

Reading your last message though, I think you are saying that you have the one stuffed in the box, which is a different person, and this is in the bible but not online.

Just to reiterate that Church of Ireland records are not as available as RC which do have parish records online.

Since you now have parents and sibling in a place you already had, you have made good progress. The only other thing I can think of is  to check the parish registers on RootsIreland just in case but that is a risk. This seems to be the research centre which you may already have tried.
http://www.tipperary.com/tipperary-south-genealogy-centre

Yes it is very vague....

someone has found a birth Cert stuffed in an ols tin box and in bad condition for another person . an it could not be found on line at all.   

I'll keep hoping.  It is recorded in the Family bible though. so it may be accurate.

somebody has a cert for somebody, somewhere....
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 18 February 18 09:03 GMT (UK) »
thanks -----   there are relatives here somewhere who may have more info but i do not know any of them.
recently someone has found a birth Cert stuffed in an ols tin box and in bad condition for another person . an it could not be found on line at all.   

If there are other relatives who may have more information then why don't you try to contact them?

If a birth certificate was issued then it was registered (unless certificate is a forgery) but may have been mis-indexed or omitted from the index but it should be possible to find the record since you already have the date, registration district, etc.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 23 February 18 02:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for all your help.  Just a couple of things:

I neglected to tell Heywood that  the other child called Robert Frederick Gilbert is the next generation. 
So His grandmother was Harriet Ann Gilbert. 

And:-
The old Birth Certificate in a box has nothing to do with William Holmes and his family.  It is from someone on a totally different part of this Family Research.  I said that as an example of how things can simply "turn up" from unexpected places.   Sorry to have mis-lead some of you.

As to relatives here - I have never met any of them and I only have a rough idea of where any of them are.  Some years ago a few turned up at a funeral but that is all. 

I will see if it is at all possible to find any of them.   Most would be third or fourth generations away from my quarry.

I am also looking at the link I found to a Tipperary website that looks promising.
Regards Essnell.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 23 February 18 08:13 GMT (UK) »
 ??? I thought Robert Frederick was the son of Harriet and therefore grandson of Sarah but no matter that would not help in the search for William.

All good wishes
Heywood