Author Topic: William Holmes birth in Ireland 1844 or 1850  (Read 6246 times)

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Holmes birth in Ireland 1844 or 1850
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 10 March 18 02:50 GMT (UK) »
No comment

topic closed.

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 04:33 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone and all who posted here.

Firstly this has been a long subject and a number of people have done a lot of looking on my behalf, for that I am really grateful as also for any other topics I started.

This one, in particular, has produced information that has lead sideways but not really solved the issue.

I now have some clues that I have followed but I still have no real proof and no idea of how to get that. 

So...... I have rethought my avenue of research.

William Holmes is supposedly, according to mine and others info on Ancestry Public Trees, the son of  Robert Holmes and Sarah Litchfield.  No one seems to have any info on these two - at least not on-line.  This discussion has given an insight to that issue.

I cannot get a Birth Cert or Baptism as those docs were burnt in the 1922 fires.

I am now trying to find the back history of Either Robert Holmes and or Sarah Litchfield. 

This is also proving elusive. 

Now .. today I have tried to find a birth record for Sarah Litchfield.  I have a possibility. 

I have also trawled through Census recs for England, Britain, 1841 for Sarah Holmes linked to Robert Holmes and none are even close.  I therefore think that they had gone to Ireland by this time.  One would think they would have done so  around then as William was born 1844.

There is no birth record in England for him. But I will look again. 

I have also looked for them in Ireland in 1841 also without results.  This does not seem to work too well. Anyone got any ideas on searching those recs...     

Thanks for any ideas.

Essnell.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 13 August 18 08:16 BST (UK) »
I cannot get a Birth Cert or Baptism as those docs were burnt in the 1922 fires.

No vital records (births, marriages, death) were lost in a fire or at all so not sure why you think this  :-\

However, civil registration of births started in 1864 so there are, and never were, birth certificates for anyone born before 1864. This has been explained several times in this thread.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 08 November 18 01:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Aghadowey, 

Thankyou for asking and sorry I have not responded earlier.  I had given up on most of this so I left it for sometime.  Then I posted the last post.    Recently there has come up another question relating to these people and rather than extend this very long thread I put up a new one.

I decided to check here as well. 

To answer why I believe that those records were destroyed in a fire.

I have been told by several places where I wrote and asked about these records that in the 1922 fire at the Southern Ireland archives a  lot of records were destroyed . Not all but unfortunately those of the part of Tipperary which had the church records I needed, were part of those lost.  I think that some of the church records, those that some churches still kept their own records for as well,  are being transcribed.   

I know I will not get an actual Birth Certificate for William but I would really like to find a parish record.   Time will tell on that. 

Now why I am looking again is not actually about William and Harriet and their children. That is known as best it can be. 

I recently came across a second reference to a ship, the "Agamemnon". Somewhere in the past years back this was mentioned and being new to researching I did not think to check on the passengers, I probably didn't know to do so back then.  About four days ago it surfaced on a family tree ,ancestry, I had not seen before, with some of these people.  Checking jogged my memory and yes I got the passenger list.

On that were William Holmes 29, Harriet Ann Holmes  24, Robert Holmes 39 and a boy, Walter Holmes 11.    No other children were included  not even as a count. 

All of them transferred to the Blackbird, coastal shipping and only the three adults are listed but next to Harriet is "+4 children"  . so i have now got two children names.  William and Harriet's son born 1871 Co. Cork Ireland  and Walter Holmes  11yrs old  making his birth C 1861  .

I am now looking seriously at this person- Robert Holmes aged 39  in 1872    making his birth C1833.

I cannot find a thing on either. no birth, marriage or death.  I have looked on UK Gov. Freebmd. all the usual search facilities, Ireland.  So hoping someone here may be kind enough to take a look I posted a new thread.   Don't know how to get the link but this is the thread heading:

In the Common Room   "Re Robert, William and Walter Homes emmigrating 1872 to Australia.'

If Robert and William are related and I think they must have been they could be brothers. I doubt that they are father and son.  This is what I have come back here for help with.

Kind regards
Essnell