Author Topic: Family mystery and Buckinghamshire question  (Read 4128 times)

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Family mystery and Buckinghamshire question
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 10 December 17 10:44 GMT (UK) »
I saw this courtesy of the links posted earlier which made it easier to comprehend

"Colnbrook is a small town lying in the civil parishes of Horton, Langley Marish and Iver in Buckinghamshire and of Stanwell in Middlesex, From the middle of the 14th century it was a chapelry attached to the parish of Horton, and was made into an ecclesiastical parish in 1853. The parish boundary was altered in 1873 to include parts of Iver parish. With the exception of these the north side of Colnbrook forms a detached part of Langley Marish, divided from Horton by a gutter." [© copyright of the editors of The Victoria Histories of the Counties of England]
Bibliography

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 10 December 17 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Horton, now comes under Berkshire, and is about 1.5km away from Colnbrook.

If you look up Colnbrook on Google Maps, it's to the North East of The Queen Mother Reservoir.  Horton is to the South East of the same Reservoir.

They are quite easy to find. ;)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 10 December 17 13:26 GMT (UK) »
I was born in Datchet (my parents still live there) and our family farm was compulsory purchased to create the Queen Mother reservoir. My cousin owns the Water Sport Park on the opposite side of the Horton Road, which runs around the reservoir leading from Datchet to Horton to Colnebrook.  It take  only about  5-10minutes or so to walk from the centre of Horton to Colnebrook. Back in the early 1800’s the family used both Langley Marish and St Mary’s Datchet for baptisms, weddings and burials. For a number of years the family lived right on the edge of Horton but never used the Church in Horton or Colnebrook.   We have the occasional baptism in Eton too so well worth looking there too.

Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 10 December 17 13:38 GMT (UK) »
You should consider contacting the Buckinghmashire Family History Society. They have separate databases for baptisms, marriages and burials and will do 100 year searches of a particular surname (and spelling variations) in any or all of the databases. I think its still only £3 a go, so well worth it.

http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/index.php/database-searches

Oh, and they email the results - and I'm sure they will have a system for payment in other than British £s. I'd be surprised if they didn't.
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 10 December 17 18:03 GMT (UK) »
You should consider contacting the Buckinghmashire Family History Society. They have separate databases for baptisms, marriages and burials and will do 100 year searches of a particular surname (and spelling variations) in any or all of the databases. I think its still only £3 a go, so well worth it.

Oh, and they email the results - and I'm sure they will have a system for payment in other than British £s. I'd be surprised if they didn't.

I pay in Euro's/€, and the currency conversion is automatic. ;)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 11 December 17 00:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the tips I shall look into them ... would be great if there is a record of Elizabeth's father on the marriage as that would help cement it for me.  Knowing now that Horton and Colnbrook are that close does make it more plausible and I shall also look forward to aqainting myself a bit more with the history of the area.

I did find a will yesterday from James Stevens and there is mention of a son Charles in there along with other children.  I will need to re read it a few times as I do find them a bit of a challenge.  He mentions Horton Moor in there. 

I then wondered how Richard met Elizabeth ... but he was a carpenter and I suppose it's plausible he travelled with his work ... obviously got up to no good with Elizabeth going by the dates of their first born and the marriage date.

Thank you all again for taking the time to advise me.

Blessings
Deb

Offline stevemiller

• RootsChat Senior
  • James Aaron Grigg 1875-1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 11 December 17 11:46 GMT (UK) »
I knew the name Richard Fry was familiar.

In the 1881 census at Wexham Street, Stoke Poges, the two lodgers with Richard and Elizabeth were George Miller (my great grandfather) and William Mitchell (George's 1st cousin).

I don't think there was any family connection.

However, I can add from my experience, that people moved quite freely around the South Bucks parishes.     
West Berks- Appleton Bailey Barlow Bartholomew Carter/Cook Childs Corderoy Coxhead Froud Fryzer Griffin Harrison Head Noke Richmond Salter Sawyer Shrimpton Sidwell Stratton Stroud Wernham Wheatland
South Bucks- Miller Mitchell Horton
Cornwall- Aunger Baker Grigg Luxton
Hants- Hine/Hind
South Oxon- Applebee Barlow Clark Edginton Elliott Fryzer Simmonds Toby
Suffolk- Chilvers Darby Philpot Russell Stone
Surrey- Edwards Knight Lanaway
Sussex- English Exeter Jeffery Knight Mugridge
Wilts Bishop

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 11 December 17 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Oh wow!  How amazing is that!!  One thing I have been digging into is that Richard Fry ... being likely to be the son of Martha Goffe ... is and I'm not sure here as it requires further digging is that there was a William Goffe married to a Mary Mitchell but I've not yet dug to see if that is right or not. As Martha's parents were Martha and William Goffe. 

But either way it seems our ancestors knew each other :-)

Blessings
Deb

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 14:48 GMT (UK) »

I tired to do this this evening but no reply email came through I checked my junk mail nothing in there I couldn't see a contact email on the web page so I'm not sure what to try next ... do you know how I might contact them

Thank you
Deb