Author Topic: just a question?  (Read 619 times)

Offline heatherwalsh

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
just a question?
« on: Sunday 10 December 17 12:26 GMT (UK) »
My g g g grandfather francis colligan (may have various surname spellings) was born circa 1796 in ireland,  on his sons death cert it said his father was a solider in her majesty's royal horse artillary. the son died 1876.  In what time frame and where would i look for Francis's military records?  any help greatly appreciated

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: just a question?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 December 17 12:59 GMT (UK) »
He would be old enough to have seen the end of the war with Napoleon who had invaded the British territory of the Kingdom of Hanover at the start of the 1800s and ended with the battle of Waterloo in 1815.

FindMyPast appears to have some army records and this National Archive webpage discusses
ROYAL ARTILLERY AND ROYAL HORSE ARTILLERY: RECORDS OF SERVICES

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C77775
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline heatherwalsh

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: just a question?
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 December 17 13:06 GMT (UK) »
thank you, now i have a starting point  xoxoxo