Author Topic: Coats and Trelford Families (West Belfast)  (Read 2840 times)

Offline allister1964

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Coats and Trelford Families (West Belfast)
« on: Sunday 10 December 17 19:40 GMT (UK) »
I have an interest in these families, as one of my relatives,  Sarah Duffield married  a  William Trelford Coates (1834-1912)  in  1863.

From my own research and also information on another website, I have established that three brothers,  ie:  Matthew Coates (1799-1882) ;  William Coates (1804-71) and Francis Coates,  married Jane Trelford ;  Susan  Trelford and Ann Trelford, respectively. These ladies were sisters, all daughter of a William Trelford. The Trelford sisters, had a brother named William (born: 1804), who apparently was married three times, having a total of fourteen children.

The above named Wm Trelford Coates (1834-1912) was the son of Matthew. He had a cousin, also named Wm Trelford Coates (1846-1906) who was a son of William (1804-71), who was a Coppersmith and Tinsmith, based in Castle Street, Belfast in the 1850's.

I have managed to find numerous descendants of these individuals, though there are some other people who appear to be connected, though I don't know how. They are as follows:

Arthur Martin Coates (born: 1810), was mentioned in the Will of a John Coates (1820-88). Arthur may also have been a Tinsmith, and possibly was a business partner of William (1804-71).  A William Coates (born: 1839) who married Margaret Welsh in 1860, stated that his father was named Arthur and was a Tinsmith. Wm Coates(b: 1839) had a son named Wm John Coates (born: 1869) who married a Martha McCullough in 1895. Their sons were: Hugh (born: 1896) ; Samuel (born: 1898) and George (born: 1899). George married Agnes Boucher in 1921. Their family were:  Eleanor, Wm ; Elizabeth anf George (all born between 1923-30).

Wm Trelford Coates (1846-1906) mentions a William Coates in his Will. This was actually William Martin Coates (1844-1910) who was an Engraver, and he married Grace Hastings. This William Martin Coates's father, was a William, who was a Farmer. In the 1901 Census, there is a Mea Cronhelm residing in the same household as Wm T Coates (1846-1906), who was his cousin. Although I can't find the connection, I do know that her parents were Theodore Cronhelm (1860-1925) and Mary Eleanor Anna Williams.

Finally, a John Coates (1830-91) bequeathed money to Wm T Coates (1834-1912) husband of Sarah Duffield. I'd like to know how exactly, Arthur Martin Coates (born: 1810) , John Coates (1820-88) ;  Wm Coates (father of Wm Martin Coates) and John Coates (1830-91) are connected??

Wm  Trelford Coates (1834-1912), had a grandson also named Wm Trelford Coates (born: 1892) who in 1915, married Kathleen Easton (nee: Darragh). Their sons, were: William, Hugh, George, Samuel and John (all born between 1920-30).

Wm Henry Coates (1871-1950), who was a son of Wm T Coates (1834-1912) married a Welsh lady named Edith Mary Elsdon about 1901, and they had two sons named, Wm Francis Coates (born: 1902) and John Elsdon Coates (born:1906).

If anyone is researching the same families and has any information which may be of help to me, I'd be very grateful.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Coats and Trelford Families (West Belfast)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 December 17 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Some of the answers are quite easily found online  ;)

Arthur Martin Coates death certificate gives occupation as tinsmith and informant was son William Coates-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1890/06119/4746940.pdf

Partial extracts-
Banner of Ulster [Belfast], 27 Oct.1848: Insolvent Debtors to heard at Carrickpergus ON the 2d Nov. 1848.— Arthur Martin Coates, Belfast, tinsmith and gas-fitter.

Northern Whig [Belfast], 11 Nov.1889: This list of the late admissions:—...Arthur Martin Coates, 79

There was an Arthur Hill Coates in business with a William Coates so perhaps this is causing some confusion.

Mea Cronhelm in Coates household-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Windsor_Ward/University_Square/977397
Mea's birth-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1890/02420/1901630.pdf
Baptism-
https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/display-pdf.jsp?pdfName=d-833-2-3-022
Marriage of Theodore Cronhelm-
https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/display-pdf.jsp?pdfName=d-245-3-1-023

Theodore Cronhelm & wife Mary Eleanor Anna had son William Coates Cronhelm-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Waterford/Waterford_Urban_No__4/Lombard_Street/1762171

More later...
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 December 17 09:57 GMT (UK) »
You have done well already I had a look more for locations in case something arises you don’t know
from www.ancestryireland.com a subscription or buy credits for further detail
births
ARTHUR   COATES   1810   WILLIAM   Antrim
 marriage
COATES   ARTHUR MILL   1864   JOHN   Antrim
births
FRANCIS   COATES   1769   father JOHN   Antrim
marriages
COATES   FRANCIS   1848   father FRANCIS   Down
death burials
Coates   Francis   1835   Ballyculter CI   Down
I didn’t search further but noticed their records include trelfords from 1751 and the brothers all sons of James etc

I went for census substititutes
1660s Hearth Money Rolls ulster see http://www.billmacafee.com who has much more
titles
Record No.-No. in Barony List-County-Barony-Parish-Townland (Modern Spelling)-Townland as spelt in Hearth Money Rolls-Forename as spelt in Hearth Money Rolls-Surname as spelt in Hearth Money Rolls-Surname [Standardised]
 entries
14129-520-Antrim-Belfast Upper-Shankill-Town of Belfast-Parish of Belfast-Christopher-Coats-Coates
14152-543-Antrim-Belfast Upper-Shankill-Falls Area-Belfast Liberties-Chr-Coats-Coates
14153-544-Antrim-Belfast Upper-Shankill-Falls Area-Belfast Liberties-Wm-Coats-Coates
14154-545-Antrim-Belfast Upper-Shankill-Falls Area-Belfast Liberties-James-Coats-Coates
no trelfords found

Irish Flax Growers, 1796 see http://www.failteromhat.com/post1796.php

Coats   Richard   Killinchy   Down
Trelfords 2 in Co Cavan

Tithes Applotment Books  1823-1837 based upon the index work of the
Irish Genealogy Hub.   The relevant original books are in the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) Belfast. The tithes are a simple one line entry in a journal
and known to be incomplete and possible based.  but it does help locate possible townland locations. I have made my index to the hubs index to show all the entries in the six counties below . I think  Fras. is short for Fraser you will spot
that follows in part 2
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 December 17 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Coates, Fras.      Townland: Carrow Carlin Year: 1833   Saul   Down
Coates, George   Townland: Knockmore Year: 1834   Blaris   Antrim
Coates, George   Townland: Knockmore Year: 1834   Blaris   Down & Antrim
Coates, James      Townland: Ballyculter Year: 1833   Ballyculter   Down
Coates, James      Townland: Ballyculter Year: 1834   Ballyculter   Down
Coates, James      Townland: Ratholpe Year: 1834   Ballyculter   Down
Coates, James      Townland: Straidland Year: 1826   Ballyculter   Down
Coates, James      Townland: Straidland Year: 1833   Ballynure   Antrim
Coates, John      Townland: Lisbawn Year: 1833   Saul   Down
Coates, John      Townland: Quoile Year: 1833   Saul   Down
Coates, John      Townland: Raffery Year: 1833   Killinchy   Down
Coates, John, Jr.   Townland: Ballymullen Year: 1834   Blaris   Antrim
Coates, John, Jr.   Townland: Ballymullen Year: 1834   Blaris   Down & Antrim
Coates, John, Sr.   Townland: Ballymullen Year: 1834   Blaris   Antrim
Coates, John, Sr.   Townland: Ballymullen Year: 1834   Blaris   Down & Antrim
Coates, Mathew   Townland: Ballyfinaghy Year: 1830Drumbeg   Antrim & Down
Coates, Mathew   Townland: Ballyfinaghy Year: 1830   Drumbeg   Down
Coates, Mathew   Townland: Old Forge Year: 1830   Drumbeg   Antrim & Down
Coates, Mathew   Townland: Old Forge Year: 1830   Drumbeg   Down
Coates, Nicholas   Townland: Russel's Quarter Year: 1833   Down   Down
Coates, Richd.      Townland: Raffery Year: 1833   Killinchy   Down
Coates, Saml.      Townland : Ballymurphy Year: 1826   Shankill   Antrim
Coates, Saml.      Townland: Ballymurphy Year: 1826   Belfast   Antrim
Coates, Samuel   Townland: Clougher Year: 1830   Drumbeg   Antrim & Down
Coates, Samuel   Townland: Clougher Year: 1830   Drumbeg   Down
Coates, Samuel   Townland: Raffery Year: 1833   Killinchy   Down
Coates, St. John   Townland: Ballyfinaghy Year: 1830 Drumbeg   Antrim & Down
Coates, St. John   Townland: Ballyfinaghy Year: 1830   Drumbeg   Down
Coates, Thomas   Townland: Demesne of Down Year: 1833   Down   Down
Coates, William   Townland: Ballylaggan Year: 1816   Carrickfergus   Antrim
Coates, William   Townland: Ballymullen Year: 1834   Blaris   Antrim
Coates, William   Townland: Ballymullen Year: 1834   Blaris   Down & Antrim
Coates, Wilm.      Townland: Raffery Year: 1833   Killinchy   Down
Coates, Wm.      Townland: Carrow Carlin Year: 1833   Saul   Down
Coats, Jno.      Townland : Ballymurphy Year: 1826   Shankill   Antrim
Coats, Jno.      Townland: Ballymurphy Year: 1826   Belfast   Antrim
Coats, John      Townland: Ballyduff Year: 1835    Carnmoney   Antrim
Coats, Mathew   Townland : Ballymoney Year: 1826   Shankill   Antrim
Coats, Mathew   Townland: Ballymoney Year: 1826   Belfast   Antrim
Coats, Philip      Townland : Ballygomartin Year: 1826   Shankill   Antrim
Coats, Philip      Townland: Ballygomartin Year: 1826   Belfast   Antrim
Coats, Saml.      Townland : Ballydownfine Year: 1826   Shankill   Antrim
Coats, Saml.      Townland: Ballydownfine Year: 1826   Belfast   Antrim
Coats, Wm.      Townland : Ballymoney Year: 1826   Shankill   Antrim
Coats, Wm.      Townland : Ballymurphy Year: 1826   Shankill   Antrim
Coats, Wm.      Townland: Ballymoney Year: 1826   Belfast   Antrim
Coats, Wm.      Townland: Ballymurphy Year: 1826   Belfast   Antrim
Trelford, David-   Townland : Upper Malone Year: 1826-Shankill-Antrim
Trelford, David-   Townland: Upper Malone Year: 1826-Belfast-Antrim
Trelford, David-   Townland: Upper Malone Year: 1839-Belfast-Antrim
Trelford, Jas.-      Townland : Ballymurphy Year: 1826-Shankill-Antrim
Trelford, Jas.-      Townland: Ballymurphy Year: 1826-Belfast-Antrim
Trelford, Richd.-   Townland : Ballydownfine Year: 1826-Shankill-Antrim
Trelford, Richd.-   Townland: Ballydownfine Year: 1826-Belfast-Antrim
Trelford, Wm.-   Townland : Ballydownfine Year: 1826-Shankill-Antrim
Trelford, Wm.-   Townland: Ballydownfine Year: 1826-Belfast-Antrim

Griffiths valuation 1848  to 1864. see http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths.php
under all possible spelling variants, and in more detail http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/  sometimes with map references! The continuation revision books go up to about 1922 see https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/information-and-services/search-archives-online/valuation-revision-books
good luck onwards
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline allister1964

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 February 18 19:05 GMT (UK) »
I need to make a correction to my original post. I stated that William Trelford Coates (born 1892) married Kathleen Easton (nee: Darragh).  I have just recently found that another William Coates (born c1888 did marry a Kathleen Easton in 1915, though, William Trelford Coates (born 1892) married Annie Wedgwood in 1920. They had two children,  Isabel  (born 1921) and George (born 1925).

This branch of the Coates family, seem to have originally lived in the Ballyfinaghy / Dunmurry areas, and many of their family members are buried at Drumbeg Churchyard.

Offline Antrimite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 April 21 08:20 BST (UK) »
There were Trelfords who were members of Falls Orange Lodge. Members of the family left for Canowindra in Australia in the late 1880s.  There is info online about them.  I have access to the minutes books and membership lists for this lodge.

Offline Texa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 April 21 15:57 BST (UK) »
I have been researching the Trelford family for a number of years as my Mother's maiden name was Trelford.  I have got as far back as James Trelford married in 1744 to Anne Coates 1723-1786.  James had two brothers Wm. marr. Diana Pinkerton, daug. Jane and John marr. to Mary McFall  and they had 6 children. I know about the 3 brothers married to the 3 sisters and about Wm. Trelford  1804 - 1877 married 3 times with 15 children.  One died young and there is another child called the same name. I am more interested in the Trelford connection than the Coates but there were a lot of marriages between Trelfords and Coates so I have some information about them.

Offline Texa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 April 21 19:27 BST (UK) »
Message for Antrimite.  I have been in touch with Tony Trelford in Canowindra and he has sent me a lot of information about the Trelfords there.  Adam Trelford and his wife left here in 1880 and travelled to Australia on a ship called the Chimborazo.  Adam received a glowing letter of reference from Falls Loyal Orange Lodge no. 498. It might be that you already have this info. so I won't type it all here but if you want more information I can let you have it.