Author Topic: Thames Watermen (Snell)  (Read 717 times)

Offline sjjs12

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thames Watermen (Snell)
« on: Monday 11 December 17 16:05 GMT (UK) »
My ancestors were Thames Watermen
So far - I have a James Snell (14 August 1769 - 28 August 1806) living in Richmond
His father, appears to be Henry - but at this point I run out
I have found details of 3 Henry Snells, baptised in Richmond area in 1755 - which would make them only 14 when James was born (not impossible - but unlikely)
Any help/advice welcome
Thanks

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thames Watermen (Snell)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 December 17 16:35 GMT (UK) »

So - you have James Snell bn 1769 in Richmond with father Henry. Do you know mother, or did the baptism register only give fathers name, as some annoying do!

Dont try to leap straight from this to a birth for a Henry. Go one step at a time.

Are there other baptsims with similar details which look like siblings for James?  That might give you an idea of when Henry and Mrs Snell might have married. James may have been the eldest, or may have been the youngest of 14 (for example) giving a wide range for the possible marriage.
Then, consider that marriages traditionally took place in the brides parish, but the couple more often than not settled in the grooms parish, if his work was there. Not a hard and fast rule by any means, but worth considering depending on Henry's occupation. 
So look for the marriage not only in Richmond but in neighbouring parishes. 
Hope that it at least confirms of Henry was a bachelor or widower, and see who witnesses were. You wont get much more from a marriage in that era.
But hopefully by then you will be in a better position to consider possibilities for Henry.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thames Watermen (Snell)
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 December 17 16:47 GMT (UK) »
The Company of Watermen & Lightermen of the River Thames records are available on findmypast.

If you do not have a subscription access may be available at your local library.
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex