Author Topic: wilson?  (Read 7755 times)

Offline Matt Wilson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
wilson?
« on: Tuesday 12 December 17 08:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi, guys, hoping I've finally broken a wall down after all these years. My gg granddad john Wilson married esther brotherton in 1861 Wolverhampton and listed his birthplace as Scotland 1842 and father james - a tin smith which matches james Wilson born 1816 Wigtownshire living in London road Wigtownshire in stranraer but cannot find james or his wife elizabeths death date, his whole children's line seems to emigrate or vanish after 1881. There's a james Wilson baptised in 1817 wigtown with parents mary simpson and Thomas Wilson but in 1841 census the only ones in Wigtownshire (married 1830) are listed as born in 1806 which can't be right. Any help setting me on the right track and helping me extend this possible breakthrough would be very much appreciated.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: wilson?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt

I've been struggling for years with my Wilson family from Dumfries and Galloway. Wilson is a fairly common name. How do you know that your line came from Wigtownshire, as  you say Scotland rather than an other part of Scotland?

Who were the witnesses at the marriage and have you tried to find John on the 1851 census?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Matt Wilson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm only assuming john came from Wigtownshire as the 1861 james Wilson was a tin smith, his wife was Elizabeth (john named his daughter that) and the 1861 james had a son john born 1842, in 1863 john and his new wife moved to Glasgow so i thought he might have family there but less than a year later returned to Wolverhampton but john was a journeyman so moved around a lot.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 09:34 GMT (UK) »
How do you know that John's mother was Elizabeth - apart from the name of his daughter ? 
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 09:35 GMT (UK) »
The later censuses (1891-1911) often have the full place of birth  - have you got him on those?

Offline Matt Wilson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 09:36 GMT (UK) »
I don't know that john's mom was Elizabeth but that was his only daughters name before he died in 1870.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 09:57 GMT (UK) »
I've been looking on the 1851 for a John, born 1842 +/- 1 yr, Scotland,  with father James, a tinsmith.  So far I've only found one that vaguely fits:

Middle street, Grangemouth, Stirlingshire

James, 42, Blacksmith, b. Falkirk
Sam (?), 45, wife, b. Falkirk
John, son, 9,b. Falkirk

6 other children

I don't think it's the correct family but this might be the only way to find them.

Offline Matt Wilson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 10:06 GMT (UK) »
which one do you think is the likeliest? wigtown or Falkirk? my john had sons called Samuel, john and Robert and might have reused them from his family back home. in his 1870 obituary his wife esther lists his father as living in Wolverhampton, although she lists him as john rather than james but she misspelt her first sons name as Edward henry rather than Edward james as it was corrected on birth cert.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Not sure but have you searched for James in Wolverhampton. Is the obituary in an online newspaper?

This might be the Wigtownshire one:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XY99-PMR

It's not necessarily your John  though.

Who were the witnesses at his marriage?