Author Topic: Photo - Which Regiment?  (Read 2234 times)

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Photo - Which Regiment?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks tonepad! I've never noticed that white writing before!!!

It reads the following I think:

"Graystone ?"
"Bttn."
Galway, Ireland: Cunningham, Deely, Callanan, Conerneen/Conerney, Mullins and more. London, England:  Callingham, Buck, Parker, Comerford, Staples, Pitter, Gallington, Langhelt, Setzer and more! Bearsted/Maidstone, Kent: Lamkin, Langley, Smith

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Good evening,

I think your East Lancs was close Jim. I would say South Lancs, their badge was a slightly squared wreath with PoW feathers over sphinx and tablet. Egypt again.

Looks like Greystone road, Bath to me as well.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Not convinced re S. Lancs. These badges particularly the one's arrowed appear to have a crown atop.
The 2nd. picture is possibly him in a Canadian Regt. as the cap badge doesn't appear to be British.
The 3rd. picture must be someone else although they look alike as it's doubtful he re-joined after being discharged twice & as he served in France he would have had the Medal ribbons showing.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 09:21 GMT (UK) »
I would agree with jim1 that the second pic looks very much like a Canadian cap badge.  His greatcoat has turn ups to the sleeve makes it look like a cavalry greatcoat but he didn't make one stripe in the Life Guards.  Don't know about Canadian ones.

The Dufferin Rifles come first in his service and the possible Canadian pic has him as a L Cpl but the Dufferin were a militia outfit so he could well have held one stripe in that unit before leaving Canada.

Best guess is to say that the original pic is, as said before, none of the above.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline MaecW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Yma o hyd
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 14 December 17 08:29 GMT (UK) »
A few questions from looking at the unit photo :

The Lance-corporal on the left of the second row from the back is wearing a bandoleer, although he appears to be badged the same as the others. There also seems to be a badge over the rank stripe on his right arm and another on the lower arm. I can't discern what they are but presume the lower one relates to his speciality ?

The staff-, or colour-, sergeant (4th from left in the front rank) seems to have a pair of "stars" on his cuff. I don't think I've ever seen this before; anybody recognise it ?

The Warrant Officer is the only one clearly wearing a medal ribbon, which looks as if it could be the African Service Medal. There may be a couple of others with medals but I can't get sufficient resolution to be sure.

This unit is about platoon size but has two Officers, a Warrant Officer, a Staff Sgt. and two Sergeants. Two also wear white lanyards. An odd mixture if Infantry. Could they be a training unit or, perhaps, one of the support arms ?

Any thoughts ?

Maec

Baron (of Blackburn), Chadwick (Oswaldtwistle), Watkins (Swansea), Jones (x3 Swansea), Colton (Shropshire), Knight (Shropshire/Montgomery) , Bullen (Norfolk), White (Dorset)

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 14 December 17 11:15 GMT (UK) »
Good morning,

The belt buckles tell us this is a territorial force unit not a regular battalion. The stars on the lower sleeve are territorial force proficiency stars. I'm surprised there are not more of them along the front row at least.

The officers are a captain and a lieutenant so it would be reasonable to think one is the platoon commander and the other the company commander.

I'm also surprised not to see more medal ribbons in the front row. Two possibilities for this; one is they enlisted after the Boer war. Secondly they were previously in the militia and didn't serve in SA but maybe in other places to release regulars for service in SA.

The man with bandolier could be the platoon messenger with a cycle or m/cycle.

John915
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline MaecW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Yma o hyd
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 18 December 17 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, John.
Always something new to learn.  :)

Maec
Baron (of Blackburn), Chadwick (Oswaldtwistle), Watkins (Swansea), Jones (x3 Swansea), Colton (Shropshire), Knight (Shropshire/Montgomery) , Bullen (Norfolk), White (Dorset)

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 18 December 17 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Good morning,

You beat me to it this morning Maec, just going to post to say my previous is not a 100% accurate.

The stars are EFFICIENCY stars, 5 points.  PROFFICIENCY stars, 4 points, were worn by senior NCOs above all other rank and insignias on the right arm.

Efficiency stars were awarded for every 5 years good service, they did not have to be consecutive. If you missed a year or 2 you did not lose what you had already got. 5 years was later reduced to 4 years.

I can't remember now which forum it was but most of this is found on one which MaxD also uses. Very good picture of a sergeant with profficiency star posted by him on there. I'm on my tablet so can't do links but if you search for "territorial force profficiency stars" and scrll down you should find it.

John915
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 10 October 21 18:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you all. Thank you so much!
Apologies that I'm only just catching up on these replies now!!
I shall re-read them all and digest everything.
Thanks again,
Glen
Galway, Ireland: Cunningham, Deely, Callanan, Conerneen/Conerney, Mullins and more. London, England:  Callingham, Buck, Parker, Comerford, Staples, Pitter, Gallington, Langhelt, Setzer and more! Bearsted/Maidstone, Kent: Lamkin, Langley, Smith