Author Topic: charles higgins  (Read 3327 times)

Online jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: charles higgins
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 24 May 20 09:46 BST (UK) »
Rockland Courier—Gazette, 28 Feb 1888
page 3 col 2
THE NELLIE BOWERS.
Her Sad Fate in Portland Harbor
Four Men Lost.
Schooner Nellie Bowers of Rockport, coal
laden, from New York, bound for Portland,
was wrecked at about 7 o’clock Saturday evening on the east point of Richmond Island.
The crew consisted of eight men, all told....

....It is thought that one of the mates was Fred
Gardner of Rockport, while the steward was
Charles Higgins of that place. Capt. Spear
was a man of high standing  in the community,
and leaves a wife and child.

Here
https://digitalmaine.com/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=3028&context=courier_gazette

Offline mark foot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 24 May 20 13:14 BST (UK) »
Very many thanks and I will try and discover if it is my relation. Thank you again for your kindness.  Mark

Offline mark foot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 14 August 20 15:45 BST (UK) »
Just to add that I have come across a letter dated 1915 from Mary Ann to her sisters Bessie and Annie Higgins that mentions the family, but there is no mention of the elusive Charles who I believe drowned. This would mean that he died between the 1880's and 1915. Bearing in mind that there appears to be no mention of him by 1890 most likely he died around that time. So frustrating, why didn't I press my grandmother all those years ago!

Offline mark foot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 20 December 22 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am still struggling to find the record of he death, likely drowning of Charles Higgins. I wish when I was a child I asked my grandmother to explain more about his situation, rather than just to accept he had drowned. A good lesson to speak with all relatives in order to acquire as much information as possible.

I think that it was likely he went to the USA, but not to see family as they went over later but to work. It would seem reasonable that he returned to visit and the 1899 visit by a Charles P Higgins would make sense. It may be on that trip or on his return the ship sank?. The inquest for his brother in 1889 (10 yrs before) also indicates he had returned earlier. It is a shame that there are no other clues. As he worked in a sols office I think the reference of a ship's cook drowning is unlikely although he might have been working his passage?

My best bet might be so see if there are any records across the pond. I have drawn a blank so far but any suggestions would be fantastic.

Merry Christmas to you all.  Mark

Offline mark foot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 23 January 24 20:28 GMT (UK) »
This is from the newspaper coverage in May 1889. It mentions his brothers.
George Higgins himself was the eldest then Charles b 1863 and William b 1874 and James E b 1868. There was a William F born & died 1871.
William 1874 became chief constable of Neath and Edward was a teacher and then a police detective.I don't think they travelled abroad.Also they don't disappear like Charles.
I think the inquest was slightly incorrect regarding a brother being a sols clerk and another coming back from USA as it would seem that was Charles Higgins.

To complete the family George's parents were George 1837-1917 and Charlotte (Ring) 1837-1883 both from Bradford Abbas in Dorset and he also had sisters Bessie 1865, Eliza-Ann 1867, Mary Jane 1872 and Ellen A 1878-1879.