Author Topic: The Parents Of John Ebdon junior, born 4th of July 1788, in Sidbury.  (Read 2629 times)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Parents Of John Ebdon junior, born 4th of July 1788, in Sidbury.
« on: Thursday 14 December 17 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello There,

I have been trying to find the parents of the above person, who was one of my 5x great granddad's.
He was baptised at "Independent" Sidbury, on the 14th of July 1788. The register states that he was born on the 4th of July of that year. His parents names were John Ebdon and Rebecka Ebdon.

Many years ago, in the early 90's when the internet was young, my great uncle did a family tree of my Ebdon ancestors. In this tree he put the parents of the John Ebdon, born in Sidbury, in 1788 as John Ebdon who was born in Dartmouth in 1728, and his mother down as Rebecca Harris. The only issue I have with this, is the fact that this pair were married in 1758, in Dartmouth, thirty years before John Ebdon junior was born. It is obviously possible of course. But it would have meant that this Rebecca would have been at a very advanced age to be having children.And the family tree I have also states that:
"No other children from the marriage are known as yet (the Dartmouth marriage). It is possible, though unproven, that John could be a grandson raised by John and Rebecca Ebdon, perhaps to avoid the stigma of an illegitimate birth in the family."

I also as yet have not been able to find any more children born from this Dartmouth marriage, which is a little unusual.

I have not been able to find a marriage between a John Ebdon, and a Rebecca, in the area closer to Sidbury, either. Also no mention about a burial of a Rebecca Ebdon in Sidbury, or the surrounding area for that time period.

So I looked at alternatives for John Ebdon junior's parents:

I found a John Ebden baptised in January 1761 in Salcombe Regis. His parents were also a John Ebden, and a Mary. I'm not sure of her maiden name, it would be nice to know what it was. The surname at this time seems to have been spelt with an "o" and with an "e".
Then on the 2nd of June 1789, I have found a record of a John Ebden getting married to a Mary Stone, in Salcombe Regis. In the original register entry, it says John was: "Of Sidbury."
There was a John Ebdon buried in Sidbury, on the 23rd of September 1828. His estimated year of birth was put down as 1760.

The problem again is that I can't seem to find any children born to this John Ebdon (the possible John Ebdon father of John born 1788) and Mary, nee Stone.

John Ebdon junior was a Cordwainer. He married Ann Dyer, on the 7th of August 1809, in Ottery St. Mary. Ann Dyer, was born on the 18th of March 1786, in Ottery St. Mary. She was a: "Base born child of Tryphena Dyer, by Charles Windover." She was baptised on the 14th of August 1788 in Ottery. Her mother's maiden name was probably Potter: There was a Tryphena Potter, who married a John Dyer, in Ottery, in 1763.

John Ebdon junior was buried on the 27th of April 1833, in Sidbury. On the same page on Find My Past, on the original image there is a Hesther Ebdon aged 73. I think there was another John Ebdon who married a Hesther Malpin, in 1784. So this may probably be the wife of that John Ebdon.

Anyway, I apologise for waffling on here. But if anyone has any information regarding the above, it would be gratefully accepted. It just would be nice to try and validate more who his likely parents were, any information about them, and also possible siblings.

Thank you very much.  :) ;)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: The Parents Of John Ebdon junior, born 4th of July 1788, in Sidbury.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 December 17 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Or instead of John Ebdon junior, dying in 1833, maybe he died at some point in 1829.
This is from "Devon Social & Institutional records Transcription" (Find My Past):
"
First name(s)
John

Last name
Ebden

Year

Date
? ? 1829

Place
Sidbury

Description
JOHN EBDEN abode SIDBURY age 41 trade SHOEMAKER state MARRIED notes DEAD

Dataset
Sidbury 1829 Census

Record type
Local census "

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbprs%2fdevon%2fsmlprj%2f00048488

As you can see, it does not give a specific date. But it would be around the right age for John Ebdon junior. It is also correct for his occupation, according to his marriage register in 1809 when he married Ann Dyer.

John's youngest son, James Ebdon, was born in Sidbury, on the 26th of January 1830.

What I don't understand is why they would list someone in a Census who had died?
I also can't find his burial in 1829.

Cheers.  :) ;)

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 December 17 17:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi

There are two entries for the institutional records for a John Ebden/Ebdon for the same year of 1829, not sure if they are the same man but the other states he was 21 years old.

John Jnr and Ann baptise three children in Sidbury all in the Independent Church, it certainly would seem worth looking into the 1788 Independent birth/baptism in Sidbury.
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 December 17 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi

There are two entries for the institutional records for a John Ebden/Ebdon for the same year of 1829, not sure if they are the same man but the other states he was 21 years old.

John Jnr and Ann baptise three children in Sidbury all in the Independent Church, it certainly would seem worth looking into the 1788 Independent birth/baptism in Sidbury.

Hello There,

Yes the John aged 41 in 1829 in the institutional records, was my John junior, who was baptised in 1788. Because the other one was put down as being 21, he obviously would have been somebody else.
I know that my John Ebdon junior was a Cordwainer, from his 1809 marriage registration. And when his son, Thomas married Mary Anne Berry in 1839, in Sidbury, he put his father's name as: "John Ebdon, a Shoemaker." John junior's son, Thomas, was baptised in 1816, in Sidbury. Thomas had six other siblings baptised at Independent, Sidbury (as Thomas was also). All of John's children by his wife Ann(e) were baptised there between 1811-1832.
I went back and researched into the Institutional record from 1829:
It appears that the records were later "edited" throughout the 1830's. That is why John, in this 1829 institional record had been put down as being: "dead".

There appears to be no record of a John Ebdon (who would be John Ebdon senior) getting married to a Rebecca that I can find. The only one I can find is a John Ebdon getting married to a Rebecca Harris, in Dartmouth in 1758. But I think that it would be very unlikely, personally if this Rebecca was the mother of John Ebdon junior: Even if she married at 18 years of age, this would make her 48 at the time of John Ebdon's birth. I have also just looked at the marriage record from 1758 in Dartmouth, and it states that Rebecca Harris was a Widow! So she was most likely to have been very much older than 18 years.
I am beginning to think that this John may have been born from a "one off" affair, and this Rebecca's surname was put down as Ebdon possibly to hide the stigma of illegitimacy.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 December 17 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi

In the Sidbury Independent records there is also another couple baptising children: A William EBDON and an Anna Fayter, both of the parish - they had numerous children.

They married in Aylesbeare on 24 May 1778 - have included just incase he may be related to John.

Claire

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 December 17 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi

In the Sidbury Independent records there is also another couple baptising children: A William EBDON and an Anna Fayter, both of the parish - they had numerous children.

They married in Aylesbeare on 24 May 1778 - have included just incase he may be related to John.

Claire

Thank you for this.
There does seem to be a lot of Ebdon's in the area around this time.

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 15 December 17 12:33 GMT (UK) »
On Ancestry, there is a record from 1798, of a John Ebdon who lived in Sidbury.
The record is: "UK, Land Tax Redemption, 1798."

Because I don't subscribe to Ancestry, I'm unable to view this record.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 15 December 17 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I've checked the Land Tax record for John and any other Ebdon in the area.

The records state who owned the land and who their tenants were that were subject to the tax. In this case John Ebdon was the land owner and lived there himself. Also on the same page is a Joseph Ebdon, he too owned his land and lived there himself.

These were the only Ebdons showing up in Sidbury.

Other Ebdons seemed to be in Ottery St Mary with a mix of land owning and being tenants on the land.

Claire

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 15 December 17 14:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I've checked the Land Tax record for John and any other Ebdon in the area.

The records state who owned the land and who their tenants were that were subject to the tax. In this case John Ebdon was the land owner and lived there himself. Also on the same page is a Joseph Ebdon, he too owned his land and lived there himself.

These were the only Ebdons showing up in Sidbury.

Other Ebdons seemed to be in Ottery St Mary with a mix of land owning and being tenants on the land.

Claire

Thank you very much.  :)