Author Topic: Why am I plagued by cloth-eared parish clerks?  (Read 2711 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Why am I plagued by cloth-eared parish clerks?
« on: Thursday 14 December 17 17:57 GMT (UK) »
What kind of a surname is PLASTHEAD?

I actually thought I'd made some kind of a breakthrough with a marriage on my main Russell line. Its puzzling: my CD of Hughenden PRs  has the 5 June 1623 marriage between George Russell and Agnes - (i.e. no surname). I can't lay my hands on it at the moment, but I think I'm also right in saying that a name search I had done by Buck FHS also gave Agnes' surname as blank. I haven't seen the original register.

So, imagine my surprise when I checked on the recently introduced Bucks Marriage Index on FindMyPast to find that Agnes had acquired a surname - PLASTHEAD!! Its not a real surname, is it?  :-\ The nearest I could think of is Plaistow or similar but, you guessed it, no sign of any Plaistows in early Hughenden. This branch must be cursed - I've also had a Katherine HOLMYARD which doesn't seem to exist and a Frances SPIGDEN ditto.

Anyone got any brilliant ideas?
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Why am I plagued by cloth-eared parish clerks?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 December 17 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps the answer is to look at the original parish registers for yourself, rather than rely on transcriptions by others  :-\ :- :-*
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 December 17 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Plasted  :-\    There are a few in the 1700's in Buckinghamshire - also 1600's
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ACT61

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 December 17 18:09 GMT (UK) »
Looking at FreeReg there is a marriage 1568/69 for a Johannes Plankett which I suppose might not sound that different to Plasthead...
Pretty sure everyone would like to look at original parish registers but Aylesbury isn't on the doorstep of the majority of people!

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 December 17 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Pretty sure everyone would like to look at original parish registers but Aylesbury isn't on the doorstep of the majority of people!

Not too bad a location for a few days away though - Plenty of National Trust places in the vicinity or there is always Oxford  ;D

(Sorry JillRuss not solving the problem)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 December 17 18:28 GMT (UK) »
I like the sound of "Plasted" for the surname, the only one I know with the same amount of lettering is "Broadhead".

Have you looked to see if the relevant Parish Records are on the international book library?

https://archive.org/details/texts?and[]=languageSorter%3A%22English%22

I entered "Buckinghamshire" in the search box on the LH side and got some Buckinghamshire Parish volumes in the results.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 December 17 18:47 GMT (UK) »
I like Plasted, but its  a new one on me - it isn't in my Oxford Dictionary of English Surnames - I'll sue!!

I'm hundreds of miles away from Bucks so can't get to see the original register but I might ask Bucks Archives to let me have a copy - may as well look to see if there are any others I can get, seeing as how I shall no doubt have to pay for the privilege.

Before the appearance of PLASTHEAD, I'd assumed that the parish clerk must have omitted Agnes' surname completely but now it would seem that it is difficult to read and someone, somewhere has given it their best shot. Just shows you, never assume!

HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline arabrab

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 December 17 19:02 GMT (UK) »
There are Plesteds in Buckinghamshire. I think in Chesham and definitely around Aylesbury. When I was a child, Mr Plested was the stop me and buy one icecream man, on a motorbike and sidecar.
Bucks- Young,Neale,Wright,Ludgate,Todd,Turney,Crouch,Roberts,Hoare
Oxon Whichello,Roberts,Slatter,Kimber
Kent-Fox,Medhurst,Pearson,Wimble,French,Tilby,Bassage
Herts-Pellant,Martin,Figg,Turney
London, Scotland, Ireland - McWatt
Suffolk-Fox,Sage,Scarfe,Palmer
Berks - Kimber,Dorman

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 December 17 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Oh come on Jill.....it surely must be Plaistowe(with the 'e' ). ;D ;D

Holman, Hollyman, Holliman, Hollond, Holland = Holmyard.

Sydenham  = Spigden.

Baptisms for an Agnes's in Hughenden.

1596  - Agnes Moorton.
1599 - Agnes Grey.
1614 - Agnes Fastnige. ( a bit young though).

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/