Author Topic: Carvan - Eliza Jane Moore  (Read 1897 times)

Offline mitzi2017

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Carvan - Eliza Jane Moore
« on: Saturday 16 December 17 06:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello
My first effort so I hope I am entering this info correctly.
Eliza Jane Moore was my GGGrandmother born Carvan about 1823 - died Tumut NSW Aust 1891.
She sailed to Aust in 1841 abord Barque "Orwell" and records in Aust are quite easy to locate.
My delight would be if I could be sure of her birth place. It is only mentioned on one record in Aust and that was her death certificate.
My earnest thanks in anticipation.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Carvan - Eliza Jane Moore
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 December 17 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Is it really 'Carvan' (as in your post) or do you mean 'Cavan' (as in County Cavan or Cavan town)? I can't see a townland called 'Carvan' in County Cavan  :-\
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline mitzi2017

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 December 17 02:08 GMT (UK) »
Oops! Cavan is correct.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 December 17 04:09 GMT (UK) »

Can you please identify children born to your Eliza.

Place and year of birth will determine if that birth certificate asked for details of parents' origins...ie birthplace of mother.

Can you please list all the details on the death certificate, 1891,  that you have........including name of informant, and place of burial.

Offline mitzi2017

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 December 17 01:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello again
Eliza Jane Moore came to Australia a single girl. Her marriage including announced bans are the first records to be found in Australia and the births of children were all church records which at the time did not request parents birth place. My grandfather's birth is the only one after 1856 when civil registration occured in Australia. The informant of this birth was his father and mother's place of birth was stated as Ireland. Her death certificate informant was one of the older sons with whom she lived and his information was the only time Cavan was mentioned. Do these Australian records affect your search?

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 December 17 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi the 1841 ireland census in Cavan lists 67 entries for Moore surname but without knowing parents for Elizabeth Jane it will be difficult  www.nationalarchives.ie :)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 December 17 21:56 GMT (UK) »

I do not think there is much point moving your research to Ireland at this stage. There is just not enough information to work with.

It would be better to start your enquiry on the Australia forum and find as much as possible about your Eliza Jane MOORE, using all possible sources.

When you do that, can you please scan the certificates that you have and post them for others to see.

Where do you see Eliza on the "Orwell", 1841? I am not seeing this as an immigrant ship?

Are there other passengers from Cavan?  What names does Eliza give her children?

If they are baptised, who are god parents? Who are witnesses on her marriage certificate?

Does Eliza sign her name?

Your best chance is to find a relative who settled in NSW, and hope to connect with family to....a brother / sister/ cousin/ aunt etc.