Author Topic: Surname ISTANCE  (Read 1399 times)

Offline joanchop

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Surname ISTANCE
« on: Sunday 17 December 17 13:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I am currently doing a One Name Study of the surname ISTANCE and through research have found that the surname may have originated in Pembrokeshire. I wondered if anyone on the forum has come across this surname while doing their own research and would be interested in their findings. I belong to the Guild of One Name Studies and have a website istance.one-name.net.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Surname ISTANCE
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 December 17 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked this one out or contacted the owners of an anc tree for Daniel Istance 8 March 1772 - Wiston, Pembrokeshire, Wales - passed away before 1841 Married to Theodore Roberts 1776 - 1859.

Had at least 2 sons according to the tree - David 1809 - Spittal, Pembrokeshire, , Wales
death Unknown - married Elizabeth Davies born 1816
Couple appear to have add 5 children at least - Thomas Philip 1839 - Theodore 1841 - Anne 1843 - John 1846 - Sarah 1850

Thomas Istance 1811 Spittal Pembrokeshire  - 1869 - Pembrokeshire. Married Martha Roch - 1817 - 1888
Marriage 6 Apr 1837 - Spittal, Pembrokeshire,  Wales ()witness was his brother David)
Couple appear to have had a son Alfred Istance - 30 November 1848 - Rudbaxton, Pembrokeshire, Wales passed away 4 November 1900 Pembrokeshire Wales who married Annie Phillips Evans - 1848 - 1919
Couple had at least 7 children.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline joanchop

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 December 17 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra
Many thanks for your help with the Istance’s.
Yes, I have all of those and a few children more. Strangely David I(n)stance (1809-1890), who moved to be near his daughter Theodosia in Briton Ferry, changed his surname to Roberts (1861 Census), which was his mother’s maiden name, as did his son Isaac. Very odd.
Where did you find the death date for Alfred Istance, please?

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 December 17 15:45 GMT (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01l6y/ 

There are many with that surname in the Welsh newspapers. This is the result from a surname search. You can narrow it down by category and decade etc.
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 December 17 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Free BMD has the death record -  Alfred Istance 1849 - 1900 Registration district Narberth Pembrokeshire.  11 a 656 - ancestry tree confirms the date as 4 November 1900

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada