Author Topic: William David Masterton Royal Highlanders (Black Watch)  (Read 905 times)

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William David Masterton Royal Highlanders (Black Watch)
« on: Tuesday 19 December 17 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I am trying to make sense of the life of William David Masterton b.19th May 1875 in Broughty Ferry, Angus. In the 1891 census he was 16 and a chemist/druggist apprentice at Peebles Chemist in Lochee. In 1894 I have his papers for Short Service where he was in the militia, the 3rd Baff (?) Royal Highlanders. He appeared to be trying to join the full regiment of the Royal Highlanders. In 1900 I have another document which is another Short Service document for the same regiment. After that I have lost him. There is a man in South Africa who died in 1955 that I have always thought was him but am now not so sure. Please can anyone help me trace him through his military service. I know very little about this sort of research and I want to find out what happened to him.
Thank you
Alison

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William David Masterton Royal Highlanders (Black Watch)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 December 17 11:39 GMT (UK) »
The army record shows that he was discharged as medically unfit in February 1901.

There is a W D Masterton on the Avondale Castle left Southampton for South Africa in September 1903.

There is a 1910 marriage for William David Masterton, chemist, and Florence Marion Jenkins in East London

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QSQ-G9SV-L99R-Z?i=154&cc=1935348
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 December 17 11:44 GMT (UK) »
I'd say the signatures on the 1900 army attestation and the 1910 marriage register are by the same man.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 December 17 11:57 GMT (UK) »
I think the two later documents are a different William (no David) Masterton.  The chemist joining the militia in 1900 looks like yours.  ShaunJ looks to have got him.

The other one joins the militia 3rd Battalion in 1893, serves till 1894 and then joins the regular battalion in May 1894 and serves, including the Boer War, until 1904.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 December 17 12:06 GMT (UK) »
He's in the 1901 census in New Monkland, a boarder with Hamilton Johnston at 34 Common Side Street. 

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 December 17 13:01 GMT (UK) »
This is amazing, thank you. I hadn't found him in 1901 and I agree looking at the two signatures that they look like the same person. The fact that he left the army is a blow, I thought that it might help but now that I have his travel to South Africa (thanks again!) I can follow him.
Can I be a pain and ask for a clarification please, you mentioned the two later documents Max that you thought were a different man, which two are you referring to?
My William David Masterton has been confused with William David Steynor Masterson in South Africa and I am struggling to unravel them.
This is very exciting
Alison

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 December 17 13:22 GMT (UK) »
"Upon the recommendation of the Colonial Pharmacy Board, the Colonial Secretary has been pleased to issue Licences, under the provisions of “The Medical and Pharmacy Act, 1891,” authorising the undermentioned persons to practise in this Colony in the capacity of Chemists and Druggists :

WILLIAM DAVID MASTERTON, Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain, 1903
."

https://goo.gl/v3EYUA

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 December 17 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Seriously impressed! How on earth di you know where to go for that information?
Alison

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 December 17 13:44 GMT (UK) »
In 1894 I have his papers for Short Service where he was in the militia, the 3rd Baff (?) Royal Highlanders.

In 1900 I have another document which is another Short Service document for the same regiment.

The first document dated 29 May 1894 is what I assumed you are referring to in your first quote.  This is a van driver called William Masterton from Forfar joining the regular Black Watch.  In it he refers to belonging at the time to the 3rd (Militia) Battalion.  It is preceded by a document that perhaps you don't have (I thought you did, hence me saying two documents) that is dated 27 August 1893 for the same man joining the militia and serving for a year or so before joining the regulars and serving until 1904.

The document you refer to dated 13 March 1900 is the chemist called William David Masterton joining, by coincidence, the 3rd Battalion, and lasting just under a year, serving only as a reserve, until Feb 1901 when he is discharged as unfit.  (The other William, the van driver, is at this time serving in India).

Pretty much no doubt that chemist William David W is the one ShaunJ has now tracked to his shop in South Africa from discharge in Feb 1901.

MaxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia