Author Topic: Mary Jane Craig  (Read 1859 times)

Offline Mary Jane Craig

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Jane Craig
« on: Tuesday 19 December 17 18:57 GMT (UK) »
I would be very grateful if someone could help me find the birth, marriage and death certificates for my gg grandmother Mary Jane Craig. I know from the 1901 and 1911 Belfast census that she was born about 1840 in Ballymena.

I found information from her daughter Hannah's marriage certificate to John Gordon about 1894 in Belfast, that she married John Craig, so Craig may not be her maiden name. She married John Craig (nailer) around 1870.

I found a Joseph Craig (Nailer) living in Robert street Ballymena in the 1901 census who may be a relative. I think he was in the Army Service corp in 1888 and was a deserter. Mary Jane  was still living in Everton Street in 1918   according to the Belfast street directory but I can't find a death record or a grave for her.

Any help would be much appreciated

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Jane Craig
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 December 17 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Mary Jane Craig

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 December 17 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Hallmark. I have that record and tried to follow her through the street directories as well. Can't find any record on Irish Genealogy which is odd as I found records for the rest of the family on there.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 December 17 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Hallmark. I have that record and tried to follow her through the street directories as well. Can't find any record on Irish Genealogy which is odd as I found records for the rest of the family on there.

Yes I know, but now people can see what Religion she was!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Mary Jane Craig

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 December 17 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Ah yes, good thinking. Church of Ireland

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 December 17 19:38 GMT (UK) »
I would be very grateful if someone could help me find the birth, marriage and death certificates for my gg grandmother Mary Jane Craig. I know from the 1901 and 1911 Belfast census that she was born about 1840 in Ballymena.
I found information from her daughter Hannah's marriage certificate to John Gordon about 1894 in Belfast, that she married John Craig, so Craig may not be her maiden name. She married John Craig (nailer) around 1870.
I found a Joseph Craig (Nailer) living in Robert street Ballymena in the 1901 census who may be a relative. I think he was in the Army Service corp in 1888 and was a deserter. Mary Jane  was still living in Everton Street in 1918   according to the Belfast street directory but I can't find a death record or a grave for her.
Any help would be much appreciated

Civil registration of births started in 1864 so there will be no birth certificate for Mary Jane (and at this point you aren't even sure of her maiden name).
Best to start and work back through available records. Finding daughter's birth certificate should give names of both parents.

A Hanna Craig born 1871 Ballymena- mother Mary Jane Craig, no father shown, address Robert St., informant Jane Craig-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1871/03277/2200678.pdf
A Hannah Craig born 1868 Belfast- father John Craig (stone cutter), mother Mary McQuillan-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1868/03457/2269306.pdf
Another Hanna Craig born 1867 Ballymena- mother Mary Jane Craig, no father shown, address Robert St., informant Jane Craig-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1867/03477/2277476.pdf
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Mary Jane Craig

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 December 17 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much Achadowey. I know Mary Jane had 3 children with 2 living on the 1911 census so the first Hannah could have died in childhood. There was another child Maggie who was blind and born after Hannah. I think the Robert street births must be right. Saw a John Craig Robert Street in the Griffith valuations so maybe the grandfather John was put down as father if all births were illegitimate. 

Offline Mary Jane Craig

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 December 17 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Yes, the marriage cert for Hannah and John is correct. Thanks for that.Don't know if John was deceased or  not.