Author Topic: Joseph Thompson (b.~ 1845)  (Read 1465 times)

Offline tjh1989

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joseph Thompson (b.~ 1845)
« on: Tuesday 19 December 17 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I'm looking for the birth certificate of a Joseph Thompson, born around 1845 in County Durham. The following is his 1865 marriage certificate to Hannah Clarkson: https://imgur.com/a/IVNi4

The following are census results which show him living with Hannah:
1871 - https://imgur.com/a/BZOZ5
1881 - https://imgur.com/a/xLHFV

The dates on the censuses and marriage certificate are pretty consistent as to his age; Joseph appears to have been born around 1845 (give or take a couple of years). The 1871 census shows his place of birth as Wolsingham but the 1881 census shows Hamsterley - these are only a couple of miles away so I'm not worried by this inconsistency.

I've struggled to find any earlier censuses with Joseph listed (with his father, Robert, listed). There are a few census results with a Joseph Thompson born in the surrounding areas but the dates and Robert's occupation don't seem to tie up.

I've also struggled to find his birth entry - unsurprisingly there are many 'Joseph Thompson' entries born around 1845 in County Durham. Hamsterley is in the Auckland RD whilst Wolsingham is in the Weardale RD.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Tom

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Thompson (b.~ 1845)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 December 17 21:42 GMT (UK) »
If you believe the father to be Robert, only ask for birth certificates that meet that criteria.

Conversely, have you found any Robert Thompsons (with or without Joseph) in any censuses who are waggon wrights?

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 December 17 22:02 GMT (UK) »
The 1851 for Durham has a couple of Robert Thom(p)son's with a son Joseph of the right age (ish) but they do not match the occ.

I also checked the Scottish 1851 but nothing there either.

A number of Robert Thompson deaths between 1843-March 1851 in both Auckland & Weardale RD's but apart from infant deaths - the youngest was aged 56 and died March qtr 1847

Possibilities

He was illegit and his mum married between his birth and the 1851 census.  He could be shown under her married name

He was born with another surname - mum married a Thompson and he took his stepfathers surname

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline tjh1989

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 December 17 22:07 GMT (UK) »
If you believe the father to be Robert, only ask for birth certificates that meet that criteria.

Conversely, have you found any Robert Thompsons (with or without Joseph) in any censuses who are waggon wrights?

Oh good idea, didn't know that you could do that!

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 December 17 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Between 1844-1846 there were only 4 births registered for Joseph Thompson in either Weardale or Auckland RD - 2 in each RD.  No corresponding deaths pre-1851

However - failure to register a birth only became a fineable offence in 1874/75 so his birth may not have been registered
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline tjh1989

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 December 17 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Between 1844-1846 there were only 4 births registered for Joseph Thompson in either Weardale or Auckland RD - 2 in each RD.  No corresponding deaths pre-1851

However - failure to register a birth only became a fineable offence in 1874/75 so his birth may not have been registered

Thanks, if, when ordering the certificate, I specify that I only want a certificate where the father's name is Robert, what will happen if there is more than one such birth certificate? Also, will I be charged if no certificate is found? I couldn't see the answers to these queries online.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 December 17 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Have you traced the 14 yr old Joseph Thompson who is a son in law (stepson) of Anthony White (b 1818, victualler) at the Queen's Head, Wolsingham in 1861 - to see who his natural father was?

1861: RG9/3727/28/9
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline tjh1989

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 December 17 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Have you traced the 14 yr old Joseph Thompson who is a son in law (stepson) of Anthony White (b 1818, victualler) at the Queen's Head, Wolsingham in 1861 - to see who his natural father was?

1861: RG9/3727/28/9

I did see that entry during my initial research but didn't pursue further but maybe I should have a look.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 December 17 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Anthony White had married Mary Ann Thompson, Jun qtr 1858 Weardale.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)