Author Topic: Seeking parents of Tasmanian convict  (Read 3037 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking parents of Tasmanian convict
« Reply #18 on: Friday 22 December 17 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Might have got the wrong Jane Richards dying in Launceston.?? According to Thelma McKay's book "The Princess Royal Girls" Jane Richards lived with her unwed daughter Eva in Brisbane Road after her husbands death she died there in 1891. She is recorded as a native of Jamaica.

https://stors.tas.gov.au/RGD35-1-60p37j2k

The book also validates the facts from Mr Price's diary who was the priest on the voyage. He says Jane James was an orphan, native of Jamaica. She's recorded as a dressmaker aged 18 and very respectable and well spoken.

So who the Jane Richards who died in Cameron Street in 1887? Curious??  :o

Peter

The Jane Richards who died in Cameron St in 1887 was a widow.
John Richards died in 1889 ...  :-\
They lived in the same street but maybe not the same residence - 1887 Jane possibly a sister in law? (doesn't really matter though)  :)

Jane James being an orphan and native of Jamaica is fascinating! It will mean a dead end though.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 23 December 17 14:33 GMT (UK) »
I was reading it along the lines that William Wilkins was transported as Daniel Wilkins. Co-incidence that William and Daniel had a mother named Sarah?
I was going to check for the 1841 Census William Wilkins possibly appearing on the '51 Census - but was distracted by a trip to the allotment to lift veg.

Will check the '51 Census now.
regards

Ruskie, apologies for not getting back earlier. Yesterday travelled to South Devon for usual Xmas and New Year break, which includes chasing "rellies" in Devon Archives.

Baptisms (Leicestershire)
William Wilkins, bap 6 Jun 1825, place Castle Donington, parents John and Sarah
William Wilkins, 3 Dec 1826, place Dishley, Leics, parents Thomas and Hannah
William Wilkins, 2 Dec 1827, place Long Whatton, parents George and Mary

1841 Census
William Wilkins, age 13, born Leicestershire, address Spittall, Castle Donington, same household John Wilkins 50 and Sarah Wilkins 50
William Wilkins, age 15, born Leicestershire, address Long Whatton - not with family

Yet to spot a William Wilkins, born Dishley

1851 Census
William Wilkins, age 22, born Long Whatton, address Turvey, Long Whatton
William Wilkins, age 24, born Thorpacre, address Brunston Gate, St Mary's

Note - Thorpacre and Dishley are practically on top of each other

1861 Census
William Wilkins, age 33, born Long Whatton, address Long Whatton, Turvey
William Wilkins, age 34, born Thorpacre, address Braunston Gate, St Mary's

The William Wilkins baptised Long Whatton and Dishley/Thorpacre? appear to be in Leicestershire in '51 and '61. But cannot spot the Castle Donington baptism after '41.

Have searched for a baptism for a Sarah, parents John and Sarah (The convict record identifies a mother Sarah, sister Sarah?). Can only spot one in Appleby Magna, 1805 - but looks very unlikely. 

I've scoured Trove, FindMyPast prison registers and Tasmanian Convicts online - so frustrating not being able to identify William Wilkins, bap Castle Donington 1825 as Daniel Wilkins, born Castle Donington 1826 (his 1843 convict record has age 17) with any certainty.

Compliments of the season 

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 24 December 17 13:19 GMT (UK) »
No apologies necessary hanes teulu. It is a busy time for most of us.  :)

Thank you for spending the time to dig up this information for me. I think it still needs that one shred of proof that Daniel baker/confectioner is from England

As it seems that convict Daniel Wilkins departed Australia for America, I looked on the US census. There are a couple of men by that name on the US censuses, born in England, though not quite the expected year of birth and sadly no indication exactly where in England they hail from. Maybe some further exploration might give some clues.  :-\

I will get back to this in a day or two, after the Christmas is over with.