Author Topic: Jack or Edward CARTER marriage to Poppy (?)  (Read 636 times)

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
Jack or Edward CARTER marriage to Poppy (?)
« on: Wednesday 20 December 17 10:12 GMT (UK) »
This is a very long shot as I have very little info about these people, and no knowledge of Australian resources beyond Trove and what a quick read of the forum and google has told me about official records.

Someone called either Edward or Jack Carter, born in Cape Town around 1873, supposedly went to Australia, made a fortune, and then returned with an Australian wife called Poppy.

I'm not too knowledgeable about Australian history either, although Wikipedia tells me that there were gold rushes in Western Australia 1880-1900, so I wonder whether his wealth was made there.

So not expecting a miracle, nor desperate for the info, as these characters are peripheral, but if anyone with superior knowledge of where and how to look for either a marriage or travel record of this couple can find or suggest anything, it would help satisfy my curiosity as to what became of them. (FamilySearch yields nothing, even though some of his siblings' baptism records are there.)

Edit: I have just realised that I have posted this in the wrong section, after looking at the resources - now don't know how to delete. Can a moderator move my request to the correct section?  :-[

Topic moved.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Jack or Edward CARTER marriage to Poppy (?)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 December 17 10:18 GMT (UK) »
Yes you just have to click the report to moderator and ask - bottom right hand corner of your post
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 December 17 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Yes you just have to click the report to moderator and ask - bottom right hand corner of your post

Ah, great, thanks Rosie. Handy to know that!

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 December 17 16:46 GMT (UK) »
If he was known as Jack he might have been born a John. Poppy might well be a nickname, also.
Could you give us a little more information about Jack/Edward? Who were his parents?

Australian marriages are not recorded nationally but by the individual state or territory. So for example you can search Western Australia marriages here:
http://www.bdm.dotag.wa.gov.au/_apps/pioneersindex/default.aspx

Similarly there are separate locations, depending on port, for those entering and leaving the country - some more easily accessible than others.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 December 17 05:08 GMT (UK) »
If he was known as Jack he might have been born a John. Poppy might well be a nickname, also.
Could you give us a little more information about Jack/Edward? Who were his parents?

Thanks for that info, Jorose. I have just had a quick look at the WA, NSW, SA and Victorian marriages - nothing obvious there (although an assortment of Edwards), and no Poppies. I rather think that it's going to be impossible to pin one down. I might see if I can get any more information from the person who wrote about a "Jack", because I have since found that Edward is mentioned on his mother's death notice (as one of 11 surviving children when she died in 1930), but no second name. The siblings all had at least one second name, although not shown on that death notice.

His parents were John Carter (b. Glasgow) and Ann Maria Green Carter (born Bashforth, in Cape Town), and all of their children were born in Cape Town. One of their children was given the first name John, so it seems unlikely that they would have used it as a second name for another one? There are no other Jacks in the family line, so I suspect a nickname...

I did have a quick look at Ancestry's passenger list (although not a subscriber) and it was hard to tell; nothing obvious. I might have to just give up on this one!

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 December 17 05:15 GMT (UK) »
What year did they return to Cape Town? Just to narrow down the time frame in Australia?

Modified to add: Just re-read your original post, and I guess you don't really know  ;), just that he was born c1873?

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 December 17 05:54 GMT (UK) »
Yes, sorry Maddy. There's not much to go on. I have messaged the profile managers of his sister's profile, where there was the anecdote which referred to him as Jack and gave the info about the wife (somewhat disparaging!) and his return. It's a bit of an odd story though - says he got rich and had a Rolls Royce, but then busied himself by becoming a car attendant upon his return.  ???

Another anecodote by someone else on Edward's profile told by someone who had remembered that he went to Australia. but no further info.

If I get anything more, I'll post again. (It could be a while, at this time of year!)