Author Topic: Phone contacts backup on PC - how do I open a .vcf?  (Read 1648 times)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Phone contacts backup on PC - how do I open a .vcf?
« on: Friday 22 December 17 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Just had a bit of a panic when I lost my Samsung - android - phone while out shopping in Holmfirth yesterday. Went down again this am & found I had left it in ....wait for it ... the shop called Lost & Found  ::)

Having panicked that I had lost many my contact phone numbers I have now created a backup file for phone 'Contacts'. This is a .vcf file which I have transferred to my [Windows] laptop. HOWEVER [and there's always a however with technology for me  :-\] when trying to open the file to read the numbers it appears I need MS Outlook which I do not have. Can I open the .vcf file in MS Excel?

Thanks, Josey
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Phone contacts backup on PC - how do I open a .vcf?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 December 17 14:07 GMT (UK) »
All my contacts are saved to my (g)mail account.
Got a new phone (and sim contract) , logged in and all my contacts appeared by magic
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 December 17 14:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for replying.

I did try to save them to my googlemail account but only email addresses came across, not the ones with just phone numbers. Not sure what I did wrong..... Anyway I've had a fiddle & I have found I can open the .vcf file with Notepad or Wordpad & saved it as a searchable document file. SO all well, I feel I have got a readable file on my laptop which will now get backed up itself to an external disk.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY

Offline mezicklivi

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 January 18 06:05 GMT (UK) »

After backing up contacts on PC as a vcf format or file, I think you need to through the Android assistant tool to help you transfer these contacts to your phone again. And it supports to import files like contacts from PC to phone, not so trouble.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 January 18 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for replying.

My immediate aim was not to reload the contacts into same or another phone but to have an off-phone [now on my laptop] readable backup file with contacts; I have achieved this by converting the .vcf to an .rtf. It seemed to me that there were so many contacts on my phone [and ONLY on my phone] that if I lost my phone I would lose all those contacts. Now i have a backup file to read on my laptop I feel less vulnerable. And yes, if I get another phone I can use the procedure you recommend, thank you.

Offline jiareal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 March 18 09:11 GMT (UK) »

After backing up contacts on PC as a vcf format or file, I think you need to through the Android assistant tool to help you transfer these contacts to your phone again. And it supports to import files like contacts from PC to phone, not so trouble.

You can easy to import the vcf contacts into your new Android with the tool and also view and manage them and other files on your PC.

Offline Ethan Davis

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 09:27 GMT (UK) »
To open VCF file of multiple platforms you can use Free vCard Viewer. The tool is capable to display all contacts which are saved in vCard including the images. You can read, view & open VCF files in bulk without any hassle.
More Info :- https://www.downloadfreeware.org/free-vcard-viewer/