Author Topic: Ridgway from Buckinghamshire, Madden from Roscommon  (Read 1767 times)

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ridgway from Buckinghamshire, Madden from Roscommon
« on: Tuesday 26 December 17 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, my Scottish-born Australian mother never knew her father but has done an AncestryDNA test that has thrown up a few hints.

Three of her five closest DNA matches on Ancestry (all listed as potential 3rd-4th cousins) descend from Eli George Ridgway, baptised on 21 November 1847 in Waddesdon, Buckinghamshire, the son of Thomas Ridgway & Alice. I strongly suspect these matches are on my mother's father's side as none of them are shared by my mother's maternal-side 1st cousin who has also done an AncestryDNA test.

A number of her other close DNA matches descend from various Madden families from Strokestown, County Roscommon, Ireland. I also suspect, for the same reason, that these matches are on my mother's father's side.

I am trying to find some connection between the Buckinghamshire Ridgway and Roscommon Madden families in the hope that it will give clues as to my mother's father. My mother was conceived in London in 1954. Her mother was born in 1925.

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
Re: Ridgway from Buckinghamshire, Madden from Roscommon
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 December 17 21:45 GMT (UK) »
How far have you found the paper trail going back for the Ridgeways in Buckinghamshire.

What is his mothers maiden name, Alice .....?? .....When did she get married to Thomas Ridgeway.?

She seems very young to be Thomas's first wife, but stranger things have happened. ;D

What and where, is your first recorded occurence of the surname Madden in your paper trail.

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 December 17 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Bookmarking for "Ridgway" interest  ;)

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 December 17 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi
There is a Dewsberry family tree on Ancestry with both those surnames.
Eli George Rdigeway had a half sister Lydia Marie born 1826 who married a John Dewsberry 1824-1903.They couple were in Australia 1844 onwards.
Daughter Anne Martha Dewberry born 1852 Deepwater Station NSW married George Lewis and had a son Joseph Daniel born 1887 who married Gertrude Sarah Madden 1890-1972.
Her parents William Henry Madden 1859-1953 and Sarah Chapman
Grandparents John Madden born 1834 Mountshannon Galway and Hannah Hopkins born 1837 cty Wicklow

Does any of that strike a bell?

Ciderdrinker

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 December 17 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Steve and Ciderdrinker for your help.

Steve, sorry I've been busy with work and haven't yet had a chance to properly answer your questions but I'll try tomorrow.

Ciderdrinker, that sounds like a very promising lead and I will investigate it. The Australian connection surprises me a little given that I know my mother was conceived in London. But the coincidence of the two surnames together is most definitely something to look into very closely.

Really appreciate the assistance.

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 December 17 13:50 GMT (UK) »
The reason I ask about the Ridgeways, is the fact that I grew up knowing of a large Ridgeway family in Princes Risborough, Bucks.  I do not know their origins.
They were all older than me(being the 'baby' of my family), but my elder siblings are of an age to know more about them growing up in the 1950/60's.

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 March 18 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to everyone again for the help on this thread a little while back. I now think I've probably uncovered a different Ridgway/Madden connection that fits the DNA evidence nicely (not the one Ciderdrinker mentioned) and I have a (deceased) candidate for my mum's dad. Just thought I'd note that here.

Also, I've done a bit of research on the Ridgways of Waddesdon if anyone is interested - very happy to share.