Author Topic: Location of Poor Records for Rutherglen  (Read 741 times)

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
Location of Poor Records for Rutherglen
« on: Wednesday 27 December 17 10:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

My Carroll ancestors moved to Rutherglen from Ireland sometime in the mid-1800s - am assuming around the time of the famine or soon after. I have no idea where in Ireland they were from. I have tho found the county and parish others in my tree of Irish origin through the Poor Law records in Paisley and am wondering if I may find similar in these records.

However I don't know where they are kept. Does anyone know?. (Am hoping I'll be able to fit a visit in on my next trip home)

Thanks

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Location of Poor Records for Rutherglen
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 December 17 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Ann, do they appear in the Poor Records of Glasgow at the Mitchell Library? Rutherglen has been in and out of Glasgow so a possibility!

Skoosh.

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 December 17 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Skoosh

Thanks I had a feeling might be the Mitchell tho I have something in the back of my mind says South Lanarkshire's had gone somewhere else (Motherwell?)

Have just noticed they're open today so will give them a ring.

Best Wishes

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Location of Poor Records for Rutherglen - Completed
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 December 17 12:08 GMT (UK) »
And mystery solved - They haven't survived but there may be something in the Parochial Board Minute books so deffo a trip to the Mitchell next time I'm home  :)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 December 17 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Aye Ann, they could have been in & out of Glasgow & made a claim sometime. At the Mitchell you actually get to look at the original records after searching the index, a great day out.

Good Luck!

Skoosh.

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 December 17 14:00 GMT (UK) »
All I have is census info for four children (tho I suspect there were more who maybe died young going by the gaps between them all) - latest one was born around 1847. Like a lot of folks who came to Scotland they worked down the pit. I have them in Rutherglen, Cambuslang and Blantyre and they didn't seem to move around a lot.

Dad (Patrick) died pre 1854 (Mum(Bridget) re-married then) and no death record. The church in Rutherglen where most of their BMDs took place is still there (St Collumkille's).

A real head scratcher  :D