Author Topic: What was a "St James's Commission" in 1726?  (Read 1104 times)

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What was a "St James's Commission" in 1726?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 28 December 17 10:42 GMT (UK) »
John915
I typed 'cornet' when I should have put 'ensign'.
MaxD
I think the online version of the 'Historical Records' is incomplete, and would like another shot at the printed version but cannot get to London now.  I have also failed with the LG.  The Genealogist seems to have no editions of the Army List for the years of my interest.
A

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 29 December 17 15:53 GMT (UK) »
I have now been able to see vol.2 of "George Ist's Army" by Charles Dalton, where there is a list of commissions 1719-1727 set out by regiment.  Lind's commission is among those marked as "St James's", which account for 37 of the 50 officers listed.  5 are marked as "Kensington", 5 as "Hampton Court", 2 as " Windsor" and one as "Gohre".  This seems likely to mean that the court was at the place stated when the commission was issued and does not imply a different type of commission.

I have also found that some of the 18th century Army Lists can be seen online, via The National Archives, ref.WO 65/5, including 1755, 58 & 59.  The 1758 volume includes scales of daily pay:  Lind as a Lieutenant of Foot would have 4 shillings and eight pence a day, plus 3s 6d subsistence.  As surgeon he would have 4s plus 3s, so it was worth his while to draw both, if he could.

A publication of 1740, "A List of the Colonels,..." [title reduced here] has Lind entered as "Lynd" among the ensigns in Lieut. Genral Clayton's Regiment of Foot, but I have not found any Gazette entry under either spelling.
A

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 29 December 17 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Perseverance always pays off - good sleuthing!

MaxD

General Jasper Clayton, appointed Colonel of the 14th Foot in 1713, remained as such until killed at Dettingen in 1743 - but you know that  :)
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia