Author Topic: Where is Craigbui, Fortingall  (Read 1599 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Craigbui, Fortingall
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 28 December 17 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Don't think the Cameron's therraboots were landowners, maybe Atholl tenants?

Skoosh.

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 29 December 17 00:37 GMT (UK) »
There was a book I found at the Scottish Genie society in Edinburgh which showed what had been confiscated from them for being 'naughty' and being on what those in charge perceived to be the wrong side. A lot of those that survived Culloden dispersed elsewhere hence why my wee Duncan ended up in Paisley

I took a copy of the relevant pages but have filed it somewhere 'safe'- it'll turn up! Just a matter of which folder I've put it in :D
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 29 December 17 10:45 GMT (UK) »
Ann, the soldiers would certainly have confiscated his livestock & property when they burned the house, few clansfolk owned the farm, they were tacksmen at best, sub-tenants or cotters at worst. The tacksman had a tack from the laird &, paid the rent, he took rent from his sub-tenants & pocketed the difference. The great landowners, Argyll, Atholl & Gordon kept on the side of the law so no forfeit estates there.

Skoosh.