Author Topic: Howden family in County Cavan?  (Read 3184 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Howden family in County Cavan?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 28 December 17 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for giving us a little more detail but when were Andrew and brother Frank born? If they left Ireland as young, unmarried men it's quite possible they either still lived at home or wherever they were employed and thus not likely to be listed in Griffith's Valuation.

Many Catholic parish registers are online but the earlier the period they less likely it is that records will survive- and remember that not all records that do survive are available online.

Possibly Andrew?
1870 census- https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M6H6-GQ1 (born c1839/40)
1880 census- https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MXVF-3RV (born c1830)
1900 census- https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MS44-MVH (born June 1830)
died 1901- https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVGK-NHR7 (born c1838)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Mike Howden

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 29 December 17 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again, yes this is my grandfather Andrew Howden. Until now I have not been able to track him beyond the village of Richmond, Illinois. Thus my hopeful post on RootsChat. My hope is that there are still Howdens in County Cavan who may have information about his family of origin! So I am appealing to you there in County Cavan: are there any??
Many thanks for your responsiveness, Mike

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 30 December 17 09:32 GMT (UK) »
It is highly unlikely that anyone here in Ireland would be able to identify a relation that left the country so early. A family may remember hearing that 'someone' went to America/Canada/Australia, etc. but since nearly everyone had relatives over several generations that left there's proably not going to be much of a response.

Once you have traced all of your family in America in all possible records you could, since Howden is fairly uncommon, start collecting Howdens from Cavan, put them into family groups and hope that eventually you can connected them better. Don't forget to include variations of Howden such as Houden, Houdon, etc. Also keep in mind you may need to include neighbouring counties such as Fermanagh, etc.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Mike Howden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 30 December 17 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, I know that it is improbable but I was hoping to get in touch with someone in the Howden family in County Cavan who does genealogy who I might communicate with. Any suggestions on how to contact family members via a local genealogy or history group?
Thanks for any suggestions,
Mike

Offline gortnaleck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 24 November 18 18:34 GMT (UK) »
There are Howdens in Bawnboy.You could maybe contact Nigel the Admin of the Bawnboy.com
website and he might be able to help you

Offline jackmcgill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 07:04 GMT (UK) »
I have a copy of McHenry County Illinois Cemeteries, volume III: Northeast Townships, published by McHenry County Genealogical Society, p. 228. St. Joseph (Catholic) Cemetery, Richmond Township has 6 Howden family members, including Catherine, Andrew, Frank, Clara (and 2 infants). There are also 4 Howden family members in Washington Cemetery, Richmond Township, Joseph, Mary, Joseph, William.

If you Private Message your email to me, I can provide more info.
Magill/McGill:Cairncastle,Co. Antrim, Lake Co., IL, Cuming Co., NE

Offline baygirl

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 17 March 21 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am not sure if it will be of any help however my gg granny is a Catherine Howden who was originally married to an Elliott then remarried a McGoldrick and lived in County Cavan. If you think this may help you just let me know.Take Care.