Author Topic: Machynlleth Parish Church: Memorial Inscriptions  (Read 1307 times)

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Machynlleth Parish Church: Memorial Inscriptions
« on: Thursday 28 December 17 22:53 GMT (UK) »
 Having discovered that one branch of my family has deep roots in Machynlleth (my ggg grandfather was born there in 1788; and his ancestors appear to have had a long association with the town) I was a little disappointed to learn that Machynlleth's medieval parish church experienced a major rebuild in 1827.  It seems possible to me that some of these ancestors could have been buried in the churchyard here -- but does anyone know: were the MIs left untouched when the church was rebuilt?  If so, how readable are they now?  I suppose it is too much to hope that anyone has ever made a list of the wording on any extant MIs related to this parish church and deposited it in an archive that would handily be accessible via the internet?! :D

I should be very grateful for any information anyone can offer on this subject.  Thank you! :-*

CELTICANNIE
PEPLOE/PEPLOW: Shropshire, Inverness
DAVIES: Inverness, Montgomeryshire, Ruabon
OWEN: Edinburgh, Aberystwyth, Middlesex, Essex, Kendal, Berwick, Montgomeryshire
TROLLOPE: Warwickshire, Middlesex
TAYLOR & McKAY: Montreal, Canada

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Machynlleth Parish Church: Memorial Inscriptions
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 December 17 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi

the Montgomeryshsire Genealogical Society have produced booklets of MIs for every church in the county~

the Society’s programme of publishing full transcripts of all the memorial inscriptions at every historical parish church and chapel in Montgomeryshire. The task was carried out by a dedicated team of volunteers over a period of many years. They meticulously transcribed gravestones, a large percentage of which are badly eroded or invisible to the naked eye having disappeared under ground as nature takes over. We now hold a full transcript of every known memorial in the county.

It might be worth you contacting them

http://www.montgomeryshiregs.org.uk/index.php

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Machynlleth Parish Church: Memorial Inscriptions -- ANSWERED; thank you!
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 December 17 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Yippee!  Thank you so much, Gadget; this looks even better than I had dared hope.  I will most certainly get in touch with them.  :) :) :) :)

CELTICANNIE
PEPLOE/PEPLOW: Shropshire, Inverness
DAVIES: Inverness, Montgomeryshire, Ruabon
OWEN: Edinburgh, Aberystwyth, Middlesex, Essex, Kendal, Berwick, Montgomeryshire
TROLLOPE: Warwickshire, Middlesex
TAYLOR & McKAY: Montreal, Canada