Author Topic: Date of when Cathays Cardiff photograph was taken.  (Read 1857 times)

Offline Grandma Chris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Margaret Gardner
    • View Profile
Date of when Cathays Cardiff photograph was taken.
« on: Friday 29 December 17 17:20 GMT (UK) »
This photograph was sent to me by a relative in Salt Lake City , Utah.  My great ,great grandparents went to Utah in 1872 . Their eldest son,my great grandfather stayed in Cardiff. I do not recognise the family so would like to know when it as taken to help my search for an answer.
Davies, Bengough, Kinsey, Gardner, Williams, Scudamore,Gray ,Hill and Buffery(Birmingham), Scoble, Baker, Blinman,Emanuel.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Date of when Cathays Cardiff photograph was taken.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 December 17 11:36 GMT (UK) »
I would say this was 1890s around mid/late decade.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 December 17 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Not a lot to go on  :-\  but just maybe a little hint, if they still held with their British roots or to follow the British monarchy as fashion, the lady is in black that could hold with Queen Victoria in mourning black, being alive pre 1901 and that ladies dress with tight arms and shoulders with puffy bits are seen more reminiscent in Edwardian dresses. Thus say 1898 -1901
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 December 17 18:40 GMT (UK) »
It's not a colour photo. Every dark colour looks black in a b&w photo. This is as Treetotal says from the mid/late 1890s.
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 December 17 19:21 GMT (UK) »
The photographer was Thomas Lamb Paviour. In 1891 he was living in Doncaster area, 1901 Bridgend and 1911 in Cardiff.

There are two examples of his work in the National Archives, dated 1903 and 1904 whilst he was operating in Cathays, Cardiff.

I cannot find any more detailed information about him, where and when he worked, on sites relating to Victorian photographers.

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 December 17 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Agree with Carol and China (who wouldn't?    ;D)   Mid/late 1890s.

Wiggy   
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 30 December 17 20:48 GMT (UK) »
The Lichfield mercury (Lichfield, England), Friday, October 27, 1893 there was ? a Thomas L Paviour living at Rugeley in Staffordshire

Bridgend (1901c) is some distance from Cardiff (1911c) and that Lady has a Queen Mary look in her hair and dress style about her.

Photo could be much later.

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/06/26/52/062652a9ba701304368759c46befffaa--princess-victoria-princess-mary.jpg
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 31 December 17 09:47 GMT (UK) »
With a modern car and the motorway, the 20 mile commute between Cardiff and Bridgend is no great challenge. In 1900 it would have been quite a different story. Would Thomas Paviour have had  a car?

I suspect he established his business in Cardiff circa 1901/3 and that is the earliest date for the photograph. Is it not possible that fashions in remoter parts of the country might have lagged behind urban centres of fashion?

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 31 December 17 10:27 GMT (UK) »
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU