Author Topic: Couple living separately, each claiming widowhood?  (Read 2344 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Couple living separately, each claiming widowhood?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 29 December 17 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Well done, Mabel. That's  confirmation  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 29 December 17 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Potentially widow of William Rogers? I see the address for Elizabeth in 1871 was Yorke St - I;ve found this item from the papers referring to William Rogers, shoemaker, of that address, with wife Elizabeth and son William, also a shoe maker

http://newspapers.library.wales/view/4578358/4578361/21/

Wow, Mabel, thanks!! The article itself is very sad and interesting. I need to look in my tree and figure out who William Rogers is, if he's anybody.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 29 December 17 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Who were John's  parents, Hilary?
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 29 December 17 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Potentially widow of William Rogers? I see the address for Elizabeth in 1871 was Yorke St - I;ve found this item from the papers referring to William Rogers, shoemaker, of that address, with wife Elizabeth and son William, also a shoe maker

http://newspapers.library.wales/view/4578358/4578361/21/

Great find Mabel  ;D

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 29 December 17 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Who were John's  parents, Hilary?

That's a great question, Gadget - they haven't been positively identified, but I am pretty sure they were Charles Rogers and Mary Thomas. Charles Rogers's father was also a shoemaker named Charles and married a Hester Jones. This Charles (b. 1749 d. 1806) left a will and mentions his son Charles (b. 1773, Minera) Rogers who has died and has three children.

Charles Rogers married Mary Thomas in 1794 in Wrexham, and a witness was Robert Rogers. Robert Rogers was the name of one of the sons of Charles Rogers and Hester Jones mentioned in the 1806 will, so this was the clincher for me that Robert and Charles Jr were brothers and children to Charles Rogers and Hester.

Problem is I have not found a baptism for John (b. circa 1797 in Wrexham) and I don't know the names of the other two children that Charles Sr. mentioned as being grandchildren via Charles Jr. in his will.

Hope that wasn't too tricky to follow. Maybe this William that Mabel has found more info about is John's brother?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 29 December 17 21:52 GMT (UK) »
There are baptisms in Ruabon but not sure if these are your Charles and Mary.

7 June 1795 Edward  and Ann twins of Charles and Mary

9 Dec 1797  Mary d of Charles and Mary 

both of Christionedd Kenrig (various spellings!)

I've been reading the will to see if there is any mention of the names of the grandchildren but nothing. I see that he refers to a Peter Jones, son of his wife Esther.

Nothing in the newspapers about this 1806 death and no will for his son Charles 1797-1806.

Will look again tomorrow.

Gadget 

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 29 December 17 22:52 GMT (UK) »
There are baptisms in Ruabon but not sure if these are your Chrles and Mary.

7 June 1795 Edward  and Ann twins of Charles and Mary

9 Dec 1797  Mary d of Charles and Mary 

both of Christionedd Kenrig (various spellings!)

I've been reading the will to see if there is any mention of the names of the grandchildren but nothing. I see that he refers to a Peter Jones, son of his wife Esther.

Nothing in the newspapers about this 1806 death and no will for his son Charles 1797-1806.

Will look again tomorrow.

Gadget

Thanks so much Gadget - was there an occupation mentioned for this Charles? I think my suspected man was a shoemaker like his father and son.

EDIT: Wanted to add, I got to visit Ruabon, Pen y Cae, etc. a few years ago - my Ellis cousins are still living in the area and my dad's grandfather (the emigrant to Canada) returned home frequently. My cousins showed us around and I visited the churches. If you still live there, maybe you even know them - but I don't want to post their names here publicly.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 29 December 17 22:57 GMT (UK) »
No, Hilary. It was a bit early for occupations to be listed consistently.. I'll look some more tomorrow. I'm a bit iffy about whether William is a relative of John's though. There are many Rogers families in the area but Charles is less 'common'.

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 29 December 17 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Watching the cricket (sunny in Melbourne)  and just checking things.  I see that John and son Charles were in Issa Street ( Stryt isa, Rhosllanerchrugog) on the 1871*.

There is a burial for John Rogers of Stryt Isa, Rhos on 5th July 1871. He's recorded as aged 75 which puts him a bit older-b.c. 1796
* aged 74

Gadget