Author Topic: Coachman's cottage of Subiaco, Rydalmere  (Read 3772 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Coachman's cottage of Subiaco, Rydalmere
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 04 January 18 02:51 GMT (UK) »
Great find Maddy.

I understand from a different thread that Ancestry has a lot of the SMH  :) for some of the years 1955-2002.   http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=781147.0

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 04 January 18 02:58 GMT (UK) »
see attach (needs rotating)
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 04 January 18 05:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks JM, unfortunately I don't think this is the cottage iwccc is after. I do recall in reading about Subiaco that the property was very large and incorporated a number of buildings over the large site, one of which I guess was the "coachman's cottage".

I'll have a look in some of my old heritage architecture books and journals to see if I can find anything further, though I think as cando suggested, the local Council is probably the best bet.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 04 January 18 06:10 GMT (UK) »
Agree,  back in early 2000s I spent several days at the Ptta Heritage Centre researching some of my ancestors.   Very knowledgeable team at Council's heritage centre.

I have searched through the lpi's (oops, likely another re-naming as seems now it is land registry services)  parish maps .... County of Cumberland,  Field of Mars...  and I can see that Mary Parade was there (and clearly no longer part of the Convent grounds) in the 1910 map, and may have been there in the 1890s. 

1910 map is file name 24048401.jp2. EDIT .... no it's not.  there's a typo.  Correct file name is 14048401.jp2
http://images.maps.nsw.gov.au/pixel.htm#

JM

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 04 January 18 22:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello Maddys52,  Thank you for your suggestions.  I don't think this is the cottage I am after.  It appears that this is the original cottage on the site before the mansion was built.  the cottage I am looking for was the coachman's cottage which was quite a distance from the mansion/original cottage.  Thanks again for your help.  This newspaper article is still very helpful for my research.

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 04 January 18 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi majm, I have already contacted the Parramatta HeritageCentre - there researchers are currently on holidays and will seek to find information when they return.  I am looking forward to what they might find.  I couldn't access the map you suggest - kept getting lost in the site.
Somewhere there must be information about this old home.  I'll keep looking. Thanks again

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 06 January 18 01:47 GMT (UK) »
I've checked through some old books and a thesis on Palladian Architecture in Australia that a friend wrote that has a chapter on Verge (the architect of Vineyards) that I have, but no luck in finding anything on the coachman's cottage. There is some mention of the stables at Vineyard, but nothing about what happened to them either.

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 06 January 18 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you maddys52,  You say there is a mention of stables.  Does the book indicate where the stables may be?  Near the house or ?  I appreciate you searching . Regards

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 07 January 18 00:56 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I should have said "barn and stables" but the references don't say where the ancillary buildings were in relation to the main house. These are the relevant quotes from Rachel Roxburgh's "Early Colonial Houses of NSW", Landsdowne Press, 1974

" Norwood House and its barn are reminiscent of the Vineyard, particularly the barn, the house being smaller and simpler than Vineyard House." (pg 460)

Norwood is at Goulburn, built by Francis McArthur - a relative of Hannibal - there is this further mention of the barn at Norwood:
"McArthur, writing to the Land Board in 1835, listed his buildings, including a brick barn, the existing one, 50 feet long and costing some £600." (pg 460)

"The guinea fowl roosted in the trees near the house, the peacock walked about magestically or screamed from the ridge of the stable roof." (quote from Emmeline - Hannibal Macarthur's daughter pg 557)

"When at last the Vineyard was put up for sale, Hannibal and Maria Macarthur went to live at Manar with the Gordons [Hannibal's daughter Mary and her husband Hugh Gordon]. Except for a few portraits, 'valueless except to us', the noble house, with its books and pictures and furniture, its gardens, fruit trees and stables, the woods where the moonlight the children had become familiar with the strange antipodean animals, all were sold - a loss not merely of a collection of objects, but of a rare entity: a home of charm and quality ..." pg 560