Author Topic: Thomas drummond Duncan born Falkirk 1938  (Read 1551 times)

Offline gilliandduncan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas drummond Duncan born Falkirk 1938
« on: Saturday 30 December 17 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi I have just started looking into my dads family tree, he died in july this year his name was Thomas drummond Duncan 17/12/38 born in Falkirk Royal infirmary. Falkirk in stirlingshire, scotland, uk. son of robert drummond duncan (foundry labourer) deceased.  son also of janet bowie gray thomson (maiden name) or duncan (married name).  i have no dates of birth of further details for them but am searching as i type. any details would be amazing to get and if i can help anyone research or find their relatives just let me know.
much appreciated
gillian duncan

i will keep checking this post board.

Happy new year when it comes and hope you had a great xmas.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Happy new year when it comes and hope you had a great xmas
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 December 17 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gillian,

Welcome to RootsChat

Thank you for introducing yourself, hope that you really enjoy the site and are successful with your research.  Please shout if you hit a brick wall, always someone willing to help or give an opinion on here.   On the whole most RootsChatters are very friendly and helpful.

You are probably aware of the entry on FIND A GRAVE for Robert Drummond Duncan (30 March 1961)  Denny Cemetery  Denny, Falkirk, Scotland.

Happy New Year
Sandra  ;D
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 December 17 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Wonder if this could be your family - 1891 census Braeface Stirlingshire. (it is an entry made on an anc tree for Robert Drummond Duncan) If it isn't your tree and you haven't come across it, it might be something to check out or give you a contact. Incidentally the tree mentioned 2 daughters (now deceased)

James Duncan   45 (coal-miner)  Isabella Duncan   43
Isabella Duncan   20 William Duncan   14
Mary Duncan   12 James Duncan   10
Thomas Duncan   7 John Duncan   5
David Duncan   3 Robert Duncan   2
Thomas Duncan   1

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 December 17 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gillian, can I suggest that you might get more useful replies if you modify the subject line of your posting to the name of the person for whom you are searching  :)

edit I see this has now been done  :D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas drummond Duncan born Falkirk 1938
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 December 17 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gillian and a warm welcome to RootsChat from me too.

I don't know if you have checked out www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk website where all the original records of birth/marriages/deaths are available online. It is very easy to register and you buy credits to download and view. Check it out for yourself.

My condolences on the loss of your dad.

Following on from Sandra's post about the tree on anc I looked at the dates given  and then went on to check the Index on Scotlands People to verify the information.

What I found was the following -

There is a marriage in 1912 between Robert Drummond Duncan and Janet Bowie Gray Thomson. Deaths for Robert and Janet in 1961 ages given as 72 and 68.

Then to the 2 girls from the anc tree  -  Annie Thomson Drummond Duncan was born in 1927 and her older sister - Janet Drummond Duncan in 1920.

Now this brings me back to your dad's birth certificate. From his mother's age at death this would mean she was born around 1893 and gave birth to your dad aged 45. Not impossible but why did she say her husband Robert was deceased?? when he did not die until 1961.

Two possibilities here either they were divorced or separated and she was unsure if he was still alive but gave his name anyway. The other possibility which is a bit sensitive is that he was actually the son of their daughter Janet Drummond Duncan born in 1920.

I have a similar situation in my family where the granny registered a birth as hers to save the stigma of illegitimacy.

Do you have any further family information e.g. Aunts/Uncles of your dad?

Please let us know if we can help you further.

Dorrie

P.S. Just an update on the two girls.
       Annie appears to have gone to America and died there in 2003 - unconfirmed but there are two records for her arriving back in the UK in the 1950's and the address she is going to is 51 Castleview Terrace, Haggs, Stirlingshire.

Janet married a William Carson in Glasgow in 1939 and died in Glenrothes, Fife in 2008. According to the tree on anc there are 4 living children.
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline gilliandduncan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas drummond Duncan born Falkirk 1938
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 January 18 11:57 GMT (UK) »
thanks for the information, happy new year.

I have no more information on my dads brothers and sisters he had 10 of them, three died young.
I have someone I can ask and will post more when i know. I have no knowledge of the date of birth of my gran and grandad on my dads side but ill find it out from the registrar.

thanks for the information
will keep posting
gillian