Author Topic: BULLEN Phineas  (Read 3360 times)

Offline Emsey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: BULLEN Phineas
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 11 March 18 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much,  I really appreciate your help, it gives me something to work with 😊Emsey.
Ashton, Bennetts, Blewett, Bullen,Carpenter, Charlesworth, Crase, Eddy, Hounslow, Grenfell, Guy, Jacobs, Lord, Mathews, Nicholls, Pickford, Rollings, Thomas, Todd, White, Yelland.

Offline FBulen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 12 March 18 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Your Welcome.  Please let me know if you can find anyone older than Phineas.  Except for some info I received about 10 years ago about an Unknown Bulen, possibly William, that was his father I've had no luck.

Offline Emsey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 12 March 18 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Frank, yes I  will, I have been chasing Phineas for years, very frustrating!
There was a post on Rootschat from someone who said they had Bullen, including Phineas  right back to Boleyn and I think it said the 12th century, I  did try to  contact but sadly I didn't get an answer!
Ashton, Bennetts, Blewett, Bullen,Carpenter, Charlesworth, Crase, Eddy, Hounslow, Grenfell, Guy, Jacobs, Lord, Mathews, Nicholls, Pickford, Rollings, Thomas, Todd, White, Yelland.

Offline FBulen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Ah yes, the Bullen - Boleyn connection.  I've been chasing that for decades.  Judging by the amount of info you can find on the internet by simply googling Bullen-Boleyn I'd guess a a lot of people have been looking into that.

Damn shame that you never heard back from the poster that had Bullen traced back to the 12th century.

Offline Emsey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Yes, my Bullens are from Cornwall England & yet the posters on here  have been told by family that they were related to Anne & yet their Bullens came from Norfolk! I know my family weren't bragging about it, they felt deep shame because they believed Anne was an adulteress & was hanged, so it was a family secret!
Regards, Emsey.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 15 March 18 01:50 GMT (UK) »
It is possible that BULLEN was not his birth surname.  There is a Phineas STEPHENS baptised in 1700 the son of Pascoe and Joan, a daughter Grace or Getrude in 1701, and then a marriage of a Joan STEPHENS to James BULLAN or BALLAN in 1702.  All events at St Stephen-in-Brannel.

Have a look at the wording of the parish register baptisms.  It was usual at this time to only name the father on baptism records and the mother was named when the child was illegitimate.  Look at how the baptisms of Phiniess and Grace are worded and how they differ from the others on the page.

Phiniess the son of Joan the wife of Pascoe Stephens (baptised 25 February and recorded immediately below the later 1699 baptisms)
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-DTTP-5J

Grace the daughter of Joan the wife of Pascoe Stephens  (baptised 26 December 1701)
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-DTT9-3NG

This implies that they were the children of Joan STEPHENS but not her husband.  As expected, the 1702 marriage of Joan STEPHENS to James BULLEN gives no information about the couple.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-DTT5-D9

Debra  :)

Offline Emsey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 15 March 18 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you it's worth checking out, heaven knows I've had this brickwall for years now! ???