Author Topic: Unidentified country house  (Read 26589 times)

Offline noytd

• RootsChat Member
  • Alfred Jenkins (1882-1956)
    • View Profile
Unidentified country house
« on: Sunday 31 December 17 11:15 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering if anybody might be able to help me to identify this property.

For a while now I have been trying to identify this property, without much luck  :(

The property appears at the start of an old photo album that I inherited. None of the pictures or people in the album have any writing to identify them. During my research I have been able to confirm the following locations from some of the photos - St. Albans (a fox hunt), Bodiam Castle, St. Augustine's Church, Brookland (Kent), and Lyme Regis (Dorset). The majority of photos are of beaches, trips (identified ones mentioned), and what I am assuming the family gardens.

The woman most featured in the album appears in what I assume is the family photo in front of the house. Another clue is the lady appears in photos at Woodcote which I have previously posted about here. She is presumably visiting her mother or some other elderly relative. Frustratingly I have also struggled to locate where Woodcote is/was.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=784786

Two cars with viewable registrations also appear, one is D6383 and the other D2715 - both I believe are Kent issued registrations. Both cars have been identified as being manufactured by Star of Wolverhampton.

As for candidates, at present I have no strong leads. I have followed several but they have been incorrect. There are a number of branches of the family in the Kent area, but my 4x great grandfather had 52 grandchildren, who produced a large amount of candidates. Main family name for the area would be Blaxland, but I have not had any success in tying them to a this mystery property.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, many kind thanks  :)

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Unidentified country house
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 December 17 11:23 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if this is recognisable from above door last photo
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline noytd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 December 17 11:37 GMT (UK) »
I have tried to zoom into the crest as much as I can, the best result has come from using a magnifying glass. It looks to me like the initials W and R, however, I am not sure if this is just a trick of the photo and is actually just part of the decoration.

It appears to be a swan on a crown?

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 December 17 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Just looking for clues in the photos, there are quite a few tropical/palm tree looking plants in the gardens, this would suggest a location in the South of England as these plants wouldn't grow well further North.  This ties I with the locations you have been able to confirm for the other photos in the album.

Still looking  ;)
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 December 17 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi :) :) :)

I love your photos

Just a thought but you don't have the name of a photograpraper on the back of any of them do you?

Happy New Year

Best wishes

Emms  ;D
Hoey : Louth, Dublin, Lancashire,
Diggle: Pendleton Lancashire,
Stickley: Dorset, Lancashire
Bockmann, Boedemann etc Artist, Europe and London

English Merchants in Brazil and Portugal especially Carruthers family

1st Battalion Connaught rangers WW1

Website:  Look  out for new website coming soon to replace Fells and Seas

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 January 18 09:50 GMT (UK) »

To me, the garden has the feel of Torquay or Bournemouth.

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 January 18 10:34 GMT (UK) »

To me, the garden has the feel of Torquay or Bournemouth.

Ray

I thought that too Ray - perhaps it was the Palm trees  ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 January 18 10:46 GMT (UK) »
Strange, I thought Hertfordshire. I saw some similar houses in the St Albans area but not enough detail to give a definite match.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline noytd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 January 18 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately it would be impossible to see the reverse of the images, they have been glued into the album. However, it does look as though the photos were all taken on the same day judging by the positions of the blinds in the windows. So perhaps some sort of gathering of a new camera to play with warranted getting everybody, including servants, to have their phots taken?

One thing I did notice is that the photos only show one view of the house, but one photo shows what appears to be another wing, or that the other side is longer. I will attach some photos from the pages that feature the house in case these show other aspects of the property.

In the middle of the pictures is a seemingly out of place page. A visit to an unknown beach. I am not sure if this gives a clue as to the location of the house.

I have had a look on www.lostheritage.org.uk on both Kent and Sussex without any luck. I have also tried basic google searches for swan crests, but again with no solid results.