Author Topic: John Buchanan in Mexico  (Read 3303 times)

Offline bfr89x

• RootsChat Extra
  • Inquisitive!
    • View Profile
John Buchanan in Mexico
« on: Monday 01 January 18 05:44 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather's brother John Buchanan was born in Balgair, Balfron in October 1865. His parents were John and Mary (nee Muirhead). Last info I have is that he went to Mexico and nothing else. Does anyone have any clues about searching deaths in that part of the world?
Buchanan, Aitken, Fleming, Guthrie, Muirhead, Edmond. Dumbartonshire, Stirlingshire, Ayrshire

Offline nanville

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Buchanan in Mexico
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 January 18 09:09 GMT (UK) »
If you can wait for a couple of weeks , my cousin lives in Mexico but is in California at the moment I'll contact her as soon as she is back in Mexico ,and ask is there any way she could find out.

regards Danny
scotland-anderson,bruce,wilson,carrick,elliott,fallan.
england-gribbon,evans,snell,anderson
australia-anderson, beattie
usa-campbell,anderson   canada-anderson.
mexico - Anderson and cramer

Offline bfr89x

• RootsChat Extra
  • Inquisitive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 January 18 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Danny,
Thank you, that is so kind.
Ron
Buchanan, Aitken, Fleming, Guthrie, Muirhead, Edmond. Dumbartonshire, Stirlingshire, Ayrshire

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 January 18 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Ron, he certainly looks to have died in Mexico in 1950 (22nd Jan, death reported the next day). At this time he was living in Mexico City.

Mexican Civil Records for this period are excellent and include full details on his parents (names confirmed as you have) and his birth place is also correct. He was showing as a widower at this time, wife a Helen Dunn Edmond. Their marriage in 1890 in Kilmarnock?

His age at death given as 84 I think and his occupation simply businessman. He died from heart related issues.

Background info here www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Mexico_Online_Genealogy_Records and also www.familysearch.org/search/collection/list/?page=1&region=MEXICO

If you have a subs to A/try, you can view the actual death regitration online.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 January 18 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Sorry...see this is still here on my screen...forgot to click post  ::)

There is a further death reported in the Civil Death Registers in Mexico City for the son of John Buchanan and Nellie Edmond on 23 September 1968.

He was born in Renfrew Scotland and age at death is given as 67. Showing as a retired businessman. He also died of heart related complications. He was a bachelor.

Some travel details for him here https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X2KY-M2S

Monica

Offline bfr89x

• RootsChat Extra
  • Inquisitive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 January 18 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Wow Monica, how good is all this and certainly ties right in with the little I have.

The Kilmarnock is probably Kilmaronock which is a small parish in what was west Dunbartonshire where most of my family live, including me for a small part of my life.

I had no idea he had a son and Nellie is a family nickname for Helen, or maybe a Scotland wide name.
You have given me a Guid New Year present and more interesting digging to do - thank you.

Kind regards,
Ron

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 January 18 21:33 GMT (UK) »
The marriage for John and Helen was certainly Kilmarnock in Dunbartonshire (from SP).

Not sure they had any more children than John Jnr? There are many shipping manifests for John Snr travelling back and forth between Canada and Mexico and the UK. He was a timber merchant by trade. One manifest in 1922 has the whole family heading off to Canada from the UK. They show a Glasgow address for their last residence. Maybe this is when they left the UK, or they may have already been resident in Canada? John Jnr is the only child showing with them, aged 21 and a student.

They look to have been resident in Canada for many years as it shows in a number of shipping manifests as their main residendence.

No death for Helen in Scotland so likely she too died outside of Scotland.

Monica

Offline bfr89x

• RootsChat Extra
  • Inquisitive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 January 18 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Monica, this is fascinating, are the shipping manifests readily available to an obvious beginner like I am?

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 January 18 21:51 GMT (UK) »
They are only available to search/view via one of the subscription services such as Ancestry or Find my Past.

Monica