Author Topic: Can anyone help with identifying the coat of arms/family in the attachment?  (Read 5415 times)

Offline GRSt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
It appears to be a shield with a knights head above, two sickle moons in both the top right and left corners, an inverted "V" across the middle of the shield and possible a five leafed plant (clover?) at the bottom.

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone help with identifying the coat of arms/family in the attachment?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 January 18 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I think the blazon (heraldic description) should be "Azure a chevron Argent between in chief two crescents and in base a mullet Or." Papworth's Ordinary gives the armiger as Docminique of London.

Liz

PS Welcome to Rootschat!
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 January 18 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Looks more like a 'cinquefoil' then a 'mullet' to me Liz? More rounded than a  mullet?
Having said that, can't find anything with that description and a 'cinquefoil'!
I'd agree with 'azure' - blue is usually coloured with horizontal lines I think.
And they are termed 'crescents'.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 January 18 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Yes definitely Azure with those horizontal line. I thought it was a cinquefoil at first but couldn't find anything and then thought it must be Docminique as everything else fitted.  He seems to have been an MP with Huguenot origins.  :D
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Offline GRSt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 08:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for responses.  I'm not clued up on this topic at all so, if possible, would very much appreciate a simplified version of your responses.  This crest was on a ring that I recently found in an old wallet belonging to my father and was curious as to why he might have had it. Is it the crest of a specific family/clan and is there any significance attached to it?

Offline GRSt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 08:50 GMT (UK) »
My surname is Stewart.  Is there perhaps any connection?

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 09:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I’m out at the moment but will try to explain it all later if no one else does before - but the name associated with these arms (it’s not a crest) is Docminique.

Liz
Research interests:

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 14:33 GMT (UK) »
There were different systems of "hatching" in use, and the horizontal lines could also mean Or (gold/yellow) or Gules (red).

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatching_(heraldry)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 16:29 GMT (UK) »
There were different systems of "hatching" in use, and the horizontal lines could also mean Or (gold/yellow) or Gules (red).
I didn't realise that - thank you!

However, even using Or (gold) or Gules (red) I can find no trace of these arms with either a 'mullet' or a 'cinquefoil'.  The closest is still the arms of Docminique but I can see no link between the person who bore those arms and Stewart.  Having said that I am guessing that Stewart may have Scottish links and I know nothing about Scottish heraldry.

As for the difference between arms and a crest - the latter is the bit you see sitting on top of the shield.  The 'arms' are on the shield and are described in heraldic language which is called a blazon.

But, unless you know of a link to the Docminique family I think we need to look again further afield to find the origin of these arms, specifically with a cinquefoil (five leaved plant at the bottom) rather than a mullet (looks like a star)

Liz
Research interests: