Author Topic: Help with Will Codicil  (Read 645 times)

Offline welshspencer

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Help with Will Codicil
« on: Tuesday 02 January 18 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi there any help filling in the blanks would be appreciated . not sure if i got what i have done right so be grateful if anyone could have a read..

kind Regards

I the above named John Rees by way of a
Codicil to this my last will and Testament... and which I direct may be taken as particular of give and betroth unto my Daughter Catherine Rees a certain Messuage and Tenement of  lands situate  in the Parish of BillUS???  In the country of Glamorgan in as ________ ________ ________  _______as  __________ were? _____ to ____by lease by the late Lady Charlotte Edwin Deceased and all my Estate and ____ ___ ___ __ ___for their own use absolutely in _______ ___ whereof I _____ where to set my hands and Soull? This Twenty Forth day of April one thousand eight Hundred and Six  John Rees
Writing was signed? _____ and Published by the said Executor and declared by him to be a Codicil to his last Will and Testament in ___ presence of us who in this _______ at ____  ____ of ____ ____ ___ ___ ___ Edwin Powell Llantwit Major Atty- Ann Rees Mother to Mr P ? -David Thomas ______ to John Rees

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Will Codicil
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 21:10 GMT (UK) »
which I direct may be taken as part thereof
 give and bequeath...

parish of Billies (?)

..... in as large and ample
manner as the same were granted to me by.......

........Estate and Interest therein to and
for her own use absolutely In witness whereof
I have hereto set my hand and seal this
twenty fourth day..

....signed sealed and published by
the said Testator.......

......in the
Presence of us who in his Presence & at his
request have subscribed our names hereto
Edwd (Edward) Powell..... 

.......Servt (Servant) to Mr Rees

The parish is a bit tricky.
If you look at 'Testament' above it - where we know it's an 'e', it would seem to be the same letter. Presumably a parish nearby. Shouldn't be too hard to track down as it definitely starts with 'Bill....'.

The convention when transcribing old documents is to start a new line for each new line in the document. It makes it easier to follow. Not so important here, but I have seen very large documents where each line on the document takes up at least 3 or 4 lines when transcribed, and pages and pages of transcription, so if you didn't know what line something was on you'd never find it again!
Also convention dictates capital letters are put in where they occur in the document, and vice versa - not 'modernised' by, say, putting in a capital letter for somebody's name when there is none in the document.
Hope this help.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 13:02 GMT (UK) »
parish of Billies (?)

I think this is written Billws. Perhaps it's a mistranscription of Bettws, as reproduced by a PCC register clerk who was unfamiliar with Welsh place-names?

There is a Bettws just north of Bridgend, about 11 miles from the testator's parish of Wick.
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/topographical-dict/wales/pp81-88#h3-0002

Just a suggestion, and there may be other parishes of that name.

Offline welshspencer

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Goldie that very helpful ,

and thanks for the good advise. will take this on board

Offline welshspencer

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank you ,, yes i think this could be it as i also had a look at the tones and parish and came to the same thinking.. very intresting that you

parish of Billies (?)

I think this is written Billws. Perhaps it's a mistranscription of Bettws, as reproduced by a PCC register clerk who was unfamiliar with Welsh place-names?

There is a Bettws just north of Bridgend, about 11 miles from the testator's parish of Wick.

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/topographical-dict/wales/pp81-88#h3-0002

Just a suggestion, and there may be other parishes of that name.