Author Topic: James William Kendall of Shoreditch, Hoxton, London England  (Read 3006 times)

Offline khdavies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: James William Kendall of Shoreditch, Hoxton, London England
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Rosie
I found this in the passenger lists:
Ship "La Hogue" - set sail from London, England 20 Feb 1874 and landed at Wellington, New Zealand 26 May 1874 KENDALL, James W, single man, aged 20, from Middlesex, Carpenter
This is in line with his first child's birth in Dec 1875

I think need to look for him going back to England in the Passenger lists - possibly a new request?
Essex: STANLEY
London: KENDALL, BRYANT, STANLEY

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 17:12 GMT (UK) »
A new request for passenger lists may be a good idea
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 04 January 18 23:55 GMT (UK) »
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers
There are several mentions of your person of interest including a bankruptcy in 1878 with occupation upholsterer.

Evening Post  14 Jan 1879  Page#2
RESIDENT MAGISTRATE COURT
Before Mr Mansford  RM
THIS DAY
WILFUL DAMAGE
C W Nicholson was charged with committing wilful damage, to the extent of 5s, upon a window of James William KENDALL.
Complainant alleged that defendant came to his house at night, battered at the door with a tomahawk, threatened to “do” for him, and broke the window.
In reply to the Magistrate, witness admitted that he had in his house a woman who formerly lived with the defendant.
Mr Mansford said that there was evidently something in the case which had not been fully disclosed, although he believed he could pretty well see through it.  He did not think it a case for a severe penalty, and ordered the defendant to pay 1s and costs, together with the amount of the damage, 5s.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 05 January 18 02:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi, thank you for your response.  Your questions caused me to do some further checking and I found both in the 1911 census!  Ruth E (Stoneman) Kendall was still living in 1911.  She still states she is married and has been for 36 years. She was married in 1875 and 6 years later turned up in Jersey.
There was family lore which had James William hanged as a sheep thief but that story may have arisen to protect Ruth. 
After re-reading notes on lookups I had years ago in New Zealand, I see that he always stated his birthplace as Dorking Surrey (his family lived there after he was born)
I'm not absolutely certain that James William living with Mary in Chertsey is my James William, however, I believe due to his age, occupation and the proximity to Dorking that he is mine.
I have actually found him now, in the 1911 census and I'm even more convinced.  He and Mary stated that they have been married for 30 years - so married (if really married) in 1881.
Mary was born in Adelaide but could have been in Wellington.
Thank you again.  Anything you might find would be greatly appreciated!

Is this the couple in the 1911 census?

Marriages Mar 1882   
HILLS Mary        Farnham    2a/103    
KENDALL William James         Farnham    2a/103

KENDALL William James
HILLS Mary
Marriage Date 11 Dec 1881  Bromley, Kent, England
FHL Film Number:    2145342   Reference ID:    item 6

Added  I think the above record is for Banns.  I've attached a parish record which shows they married in 17 Jan 1882 at Holy Trinity, Aldershot.

Do you still think it is your man?  I think it is a different couple.

Cando

Edit...definitely not your couple.  Back to finding a marriage, ie if one existed.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 05 January 18 02:49 GMT (UK) »
There's a marriage indexed at the NEW ZEALAND bdm  :) for 1876  :)

Ruth Elizabeth STONEMAN and James William KENDALL #1470

Also a birth NZ BDM for 1877   :) Julius William KENDALL #12566

https://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/home 

https://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/dataCollected/birth 

IF ordering from NZ BDM, please consider to order the cheaper PRINT OUTS as these have the depth of info for family history buffs.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 05 January 18 02:52 GMT (UK) »
New Zealand death for a James William KENDALL in 1950 #18073,  aged 85 years.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 05 January 18 03:37 GMT (UK) »
I have not found a likely marriage for James William KENDALL to Mary at any of the BDM resources listed on the various resources boards for the Australian states.    :(

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/australia-resources-offers/

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 05 January 18 03:39 GMT (UK) »

Also, I have not found mention of a possible (Australian) divorce for Ruth Elizabeth from James William KENDALL,

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/?q= 

One of them would have needed to be residing in one of the Australian colonies prior to seeking a divorce...

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 05 January 18 04:02 GMT (UK) »
J.W. KENDALL mentioned 31 October 1881  Wanganui Herald (New Zealand) as a signature on a petition.

Mr J.W. KENDALL mentioned as part of the Hunterville Rifle Assn 21 August 1893 Wanganui Chronicle (New Zealand). 

Mr J.W. KENDALL (of Auckland) attended the (NZ) High Commissioner in LONDON ‘recently’  as per Evening Star (New Zealand) 2 February 1909

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/

IF (and it is a big IF) this is our OP's James William KENDALL, then he was in London late 1908... 

Passenger lists may be available at familysearch.  https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/location/1927083?region=New+Zealand

JM