Author Topic: James William Kendall of Shoreditch, Hoxton, London England  (Read 3018 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James William Kendall of Shoreditch, Hoxton, London England
« Reply #18 on: Friday 05 January 18 04:26 GMT (UK) »
A possiblity :-\ :-\

Arriving at Southampton 11 May 1897 on the NORMAN from South Africa, Mr Y W KANDELL, 42 years, upholster and Mrs KANDELL, 36 years.  Port of embarkation Adelaide, South Australia.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline khdavies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 06 January 18 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, CANDO, for all of your searches! 
Some years ago, an extremely helpful lady, called Christine, found the marriage license (5 Aug 1876-Masterton, NZ) of James William KENDALL to Ruth Elizabeth STONEMAN, his occupation Upholsterer (He stated he was born in Dorking, Surrey, England).  She also found the birth of my Gr-Grandfather, Julius William Kendall, confirming his parents names and ages and father's occupation as Upholsterer.

I suspect that the legal things you found in the newspapers were my James.  It would be very interesting to read of his bankruptcy!

I agree with you that the marriage to Mary Hill was not the correct pair. 

If the New Zealand records are as accurate about age at death as British records, the death of JWK in 1950, at aged 85, would not be mine as he would have been 96.

Ruth, declaring herself Married until her death, was also living on her own means, and in 1911, private means.  James W may have supported her. Things I'll probably never know for sure!

Thank you again for your help!  I think my next move should be the passenger lists.
Essex: STANLEY
London: KENDALL, BRYANT, STANLEY

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 06 January 18 13:27 GMT (UK) »
A possiblity :-\ :-\

Arriving at Southampton 11 May 1897 on the NORMAN from South Africa, Mr Y W KANDELL, 42 years, upholster and Mrs KANDELL, 36 years.  Port of embarkation Adelaide, South Australia.

Cando

That looks very good Cando   :)

The 'Y' on the image has a long tail and looks just like the J in John a few lines down  ;)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline khdavies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 06 January 18 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, again, CANDO, for the Passenger list entry.  I was going to say it is very possible due to age and occupation and the fact the transcriptions are not always accurate and ROSIE99 has confirmed my thoughts - thank you to ROSIE99 as well!!
I suspect this is my JW with new wife, Mary, which would suggest a marriage in Adelaide.  I'm not sure how easy it would have been to divorce with only one signature or how easy it might have been to conveniently leave out the first marriage as it had been in New Zealand.

I have just realised that a number of responses yesterday were from MAJM. I do apologise!  Thank you very much for your contributions.  You said that you had not found mention of a divorce in Australia.  I think I should now focus on an Adelaide marriage.

Again, thanks to all of you who have posted to this string!

Offline khdavies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 06 January 18 13:59 GMT (UK) »
ROSIE99 - it sounds like you are able to read the passenger list that you were commenting upon. 
Are you able to see KENDALL rather than KANDELL when you look at it
and Are you able to see 33 rather than 36 as the age of Mrs K?  I've seen both of these transcription errors before!
Thanks.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 06 January 18 14:59 GMT (UK) »
To me it could be Kendell /Kendall /Kandall or Kandell
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline khdavies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 06 January 18 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, ROSIE99.  I see what you mean!  I also see that Mrs K's age could not be read as 33.
Off in search of Adelaide marriage now!

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 07 January 18 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi khdavies

I'm guessing that you don't have a copy of the 1876 New Zealand marriage ???

I ask because, if your man James William KENDALL had divorced (or rather been divorced by his first wife Ruth STONEMAN) then any copy of the NZ Marriage record, would be officially endorsed to show the date the Decree Absolute was handed down. 

~  Lu

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 08 January 18 04:32 GMT (UK) »
Similar procedure existed in NSW when Divorces were heard by NSW Supreme Court (so from 1873 until 1976ish).  The NSW Supreme Court's Registrar required to Registrar Generals Office (NSW BDM was a part of that office) to endorse the register with the NSW Supreme Court File No.

An image is available online at NSW BDM.

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Documents/m1924-3913.pdf 

ADD,
Official transcriptions (full ones) of NSW BDM marriages also included the endorsement as a note.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.