Author Topic: Seeking info on Edward Frederick Clingham  (Read 2842 times)

Offline felix_78

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Seeking info on Edward Frederick Clingham
« on: Wednesday 03 January 18 21:04 GMT (UK) »
My great grandfather Edward Frederick Clingham was born on St Helena in 1885 and came over to South Africa around the turn of the century, marrying a fellow "Saint" Lydia Rosina Yon at Claremont in 1915.

I would be grateful to hear from any descendants of Edward or other Clinghams who can assist in filling in gaps in my family tree, going back further than the 1830s if possible.

I can trace my family back to 1831 when William Clingen married Elizabeth Ridge and this is where the trail ends.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking info on Edward Frederick Clingham
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Rachel Jones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 March 19 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Good day,

I too am looking for information on an Edward Frederick Clingham born December 24th 1885 in St Helena. He later married a Lydia Rosina Alexandra (Yon) in Claremont and at some point they moved to Then Southern Rhodesia where they settled.

I would be pleased if you could share with me any documentation pertaining to the same.

Offline felix_78

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 March 19 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rachel

I have updated a tree on wikitree, you can contact me via that site if you like (not sure if I can share my email address here)

Take care

Offline Rachel Jones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 March 19 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your prompt reply. I will check on wiki tree promptly.  Please let me know your name.

Offline felix_78

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 March 19 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

My name is David Clingham

Offline felix_78

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 March 19 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rachel

I have not heard from you as yet, wondering if you managed to find what you were looking for? Would love to know how you are connected to the family and if you have any additional names I can add?

Offline Rachel Jones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 March 19 19:27 GMT (UK) »
I was married to Tossie's (Martha Clingham) son and although I knew all of Tossie's sisters whom were all very close (except aunty Sissy who had passed away many years before) we did not know her brothers as they chose to take a different path and cut ties with the ones who didn't.  My children want to know more about their Ancestry and family tree and although we have all the names of Grandad and Oumam's baptism certificates and details of all of their offspring we do not have copies of their birth certificates and would like to find the same. Aunty Tilla was the last living of Edward and Lydia's children and whilst her daughter Sonia has been most helpful and has given us copies of baptism certificates.. marriage certificates..  obituaries etc. She did not have their birth certificates. Do you possibly have copies of these?

Offline felix_78

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 09 March 19 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for letting me know.

I have seen records on family search - if you filter on South Africa you will find a few birth and death records and there are less than 10 death records when you filter on Zimbabwe. The Zim documents have not all been indexed as yet but they have been scanned. Unfortunately they only go up to a certain point and you will have to trawl through thousands of them.

Hope you find what you are looking for.