Author Topic: Help in a search to potentially solve a mystery?  (Read 1695 times)

Offline Elliebean54

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help in a search to potentially solve a mystery?
« on: Thursday 04 January 18 00:03 GMT (UK) »
I wondered if anyone can help me.

As I said on my opening post I'm relatively new to this, but have unearthed a potential mystery solving ancestor and not sure how to go about scanning for ANY kind of record of her.

Can anyone find a mention of an Augusta Norberg in the UK? She was born in Sweden in 1870 but left, possibly around 1890, destination unknown but likely to or via the UK.

So we're looking for any record of her, particularly from late 1880s or the 1890s, possibly a passenger list, or anything that mentions her name, or a similar sounding one.

It's likely I won't find a connection with her by a conventional route, I just need to know where she was and when so I can research possibilities.

Thank you in advance

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help in a search to potentially solve a mystery?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 January 18 00:13 GMT (UK) »
Can you tell us a bit more so that people can suggest the right sorts of records?

Is she likely to have appeared in newspapers etc, or was she just travelling for unremarkable reasons?  Would she be likely to have been accompanied by anybody else - parent, sibling, husband, child?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 January 18 00:22 GMT (UK) »
There is an Augusta Norberg travelling to the USA via England on Ancestry UK Passengers Lists 1890-1960 my subscription doesn't include that list so unable to view although did narrow the age down to within 10 years so may not be the one you are looking for

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 January 18 00:26 GMT (UK) »
Augusta Norberg
Departure - 18 Oct 1889
Departure - Gothenburg
Ship - Romeo
Birth - about 1871, Horr Luhä   
Age - 18
Destination - Hull, England (then Providence RI ?)

:)

Offline Elliebean54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 January 18 00:27 GMT (UK) »
Can you tell us a bit more so that people can suggest the right sort of records?

Is she likely to have appeared in newspapers etc, or was she just travelling for unremarkable reasons?  Would she be likely to have been accompanied by anybody else - parent, sibling, husband, child?

As things stand, all I know is she emigrated for unremarkable reasons. No newspapers, just normal records I suppose.

I checked and the exact birth date I have is 29th March 1870 from the records in Sweden, but I'm not sure how accurate birth dates and name spellings are recorded when people are travelling between countries. There's no indication she travelled with anyone.

It really is all I know. It is vague but I'm relying on oral family history to try and unpick a close DNA match with no known connection and she's looking like the likely one because at least she should have been geographically in the right place. Passenger lists might be a best bet to at least know whether she actually got here, but I'm not sure how you do that.

Offline Elliebean54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 January 18 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Augusta Norberg
Departure - 18 Oct 1889
Departure - Gothenburg
Ship - Romeo
Birth - about 1871, Horr Luhä   
Age - 18
Destination - Hull, England (then Providence RI ?)

Wow that was quick, thank you.

It's a year out on her age but close enough, so if that is her it looks like she did at least arrive in the UK. There is a family link to Hull, I need to check with my mother the timing of it.

I should probably check how common the name is in Sweden, it may be their equivalent of Mary Smith.

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 January 18 01:36 GMT (UK) »
From: Emigrants Registered in Swedish Church Books. EmiWeb, Karlstad, Sweden on Ancestry

Name - Augusta Norberg (unmarried)
Birth - 29 Mar 1870 Place: Överluleå, Norrbotten
Departure Date - 10 Oct 1889
Departure - Överluleå, Norrbotten
Destination - Nordamerika (North America)
Notes - Travels alone

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 January 18 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Here is the family in 1880:

Offline Elliebean54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 January 18 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Here is the family in 1880:

Thank you

And, somehow, that family is quite closely related to me (multiple DNA connections) and we don't know how.

We have Augusta at least touching British soil in 1889 and she could be the right degree to explain the DNA, but shoehorning a woman into this is not straightforward without an unrecorded adoption. I am new to research, but my rookie attempts to find her living in the UK in the 1890s have drawn a blank.

None of my ancestors left the UK, but several members of this family over a couple of generations left Sweden, to the US apparently. We certainly have DNA hits in the US with Swedish ancestors.

This has started all sorts of mental hares darting, but so far there's no clear answer.

Thank you to everyone who has looked at this for me.