Author Topic: David Donaldson Claremont New Hampshire look up  (Read 2191 times)

Offline CornerB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
David Donaldson Claremont New Hampshire look up
« on: Thursday 04 January 18 20:13 GMT (UK) »
I am looking any information on a David Donaldson who came from Ireland and lived later in Claremont New Hampshire. Reason being that his son also called David was killed in WW1 and is buried in a soldiers grave in Belfast's Milltown Cemetery.

David Donaldson the son was in the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers 3rd Battalion when he died on the 12th of July 1918 but he had already been wounded on three different occasions before his death. The last address I have for him is in Foundry Street Belfast around 1918. But his address was given as 133 Main Street Claremont New Hampshire. But I am lead to believe that this was his father's address. So I was wondering if anyone out there would have any information about any Donaldson's still in this area who might be related to him? Hoping for any replies with interest.

Brian

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: David Donaldson Claremont New Hampshire look up
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 January 18 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Welcome to RootsChat

Main Street Claremont, Sullivan, New Hampshire 1920

Mary Landers   45
Evelyn Landers   13
Edward Lane   73
David Donaldson 52 Born Ireland. Widowed. Roomer. Weaver. Woollen Mill. Naturalized.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 January 18 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Newport, New Hampshire, City Directory, 1917 Claremont -  - David Donaldson - 133 Main - weaver.

Claremont, New Hampshire, City Directory, 1927 - David Donaldson - res 133 Main

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline CornerB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 January 18 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Welcome to RootsChat

Main Street Claremont, Sullivan, New Hampshire 1920

Mary Landers   45
Evelyn Landers   13
Edward Lane   73
David Donaldson 52 Born Ireland. Widowed. Roomer. Weaver. Woollen Mill. Naturalized.

Sandra wow thank you so much. This is great this with out doubt is him. It would seem that this could have been a boarding house of some sort? But this is just fantastic confirmation of the David in Belfast's father. And that by 1920 he was a widow. I'm wondering if he stayed in America? Either way thank you very much for this information

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 January 18 23:25 GMT (UK) »
You can see the actual image of the 1920 census here - https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33SQ-GRXL-H9G?i=26&cc=1488411  The address given on the left hand side is 197 Main St.

Offline CornerB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 January 18 14:28 GMT (UK) »
You can see the actual image of the 1920 census here - https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33SQ-GRXL-H9G?i=26&cc=1488411  The address given on the left hand side is 197 Main St.

Sorry Shelly my wi-fi is on the blink, I have just got on that site at present. And thank you very much for your input I just came across this lads grave in Milltown Cemetery while researching WW1 soldiers.

David Donaldson the father was married to a Mary Jane Long. Mary Jane died in 1918 the same year as their son David. Yet on her death cert in 1918 it states she is a widow which she wasn't as her husband was in New Hampshire.

But it might explain why David's son's address on the C.W.G.C. was given as Claremont when in fact he could never have been to the United States on the face of it? Unless I am missing something? Bit of a teaser.

Regards Brian.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 January 18 22:48 GMT (UK) »
It happened pretty commonly in those days that women claimed to be widows when really they were separated from or abandoned by their husbands.  Or maybe the person who filled out her death certificate didn't know her marital status. 

Offline CornerB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 January 18 12:55 GMT (UK) »
It happened pretty commonly in those days that women claimed to be widows when really they were separated from or abandoned by their husbands.  Or maybe the person who filled out her death certificate didn't know her marital status.

Indeed might have been the case that a move to America was a bit too much for his wife. Or who knows? It was her daughter who recorded her death in Belfast and no doubt had her reasons for doing so. I tried looking up David seniors death but no luck as yet.

Many thanks Shelly and a very Happy New Year to you and your family.

Brian.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 06 January 18 13:46 GMT (UK) »
When was the last sighting of David Donaldson Snr in Ireland ?  1901 / 1911 ?

Sandra