Author Topic: Records of the 52nd Regiment Light Infantry - Chatham Barracks 1860's ???  (Read 538 times)

Offline SCH

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Good afternoon all.

I require a few pointers and advise on where I might find records of the 52nd Regiment of Light Infantry from Chatham Barracks in the 1860's.

My GGG Grandmother married 3 times :-

12th July 1859 to a Thomas Roomey - a Private in the 52nd Regiment at Chatham Barracks

16th March 1864 to a Richard Fagg - a Butcher based at Chatham Barracks

11th July 1866 to a Joseph Jackson - a Corporal in the 52nd Regiment at Chatham Barracks : they had a son Thomas Jackson born 9th July 1871 \ Baptism 23rd July 1871 in Malta - I have the Birth certificate that states 52nd Regiment of Light Infantry. Interestingly, the Father's rank is now Private. MC O'Dell is stated at Senior Chaplin. Adjutant Lt BM Pulteney

My thanks in advance to any help, ideas and thoughts that could be suggested.

Offline dixied65

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Records of the 52nd Regiment Light Infantry - Chatham Barracks 1860's ???
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 January 22 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi SCH,  i have found my military bits on  www.forces-war-records.co.uk it is chargable but you can get free searches  and they do offer free weekends   , alas i do not have paid access but i did a search and found
Richard    Fagg    0            Private    1861    Chatham Invalid Depot (Div 2)    
Richard    Fagg    1372    Private    1861    69th Foot (S Lincolnshire) Depot    
Richard    Fagg    819          Private    1861    52nd Foot (Oxfordshire) Depot    

52nd LIGHT INFANTRY

1865-1881.

Based on extracts from- A short history of the Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry, 1741-1922 for the young soldiers of the Regiment. By R.B. Crosse

In March, 1865, the 52nd arrived at Portsmouth from India, and almost a year later moved to Aldershot. The 52nd was moved suddenly to Dublin, owing to Fenian riots, in December 1866.

In September, 1868, the 52nd left Ireland for Malta, whence the Regiment moved in 1873 to Gibraltar, and returned the next year to England (Portsmouth). On the arrival of the Regiment, the Depot of the 85th (Bucks Volunteers) or King's Light Infantry was attached to the 52nd. In 1876 Cowley Barracks were opened, when they were occupied by the Depots of the 52nd and 85th (as the 42nd Brigade Depot), the Regiments being then quartered, the 85th in India and Africa, and the 52nd at Plymouth, Aldershot (1878), and Chatham (1881).

I am sure if you pay you may get more info and also may locate others you are looking for,  sorry not as much info but a start   hopefully someone else may be more help

You could also try  https://www.sofo.org.uk which has info on Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry
Vagg/Tomlinson/Hogg /Dorrey Mums Side
Williams/Evans/Wood on my Sads Side