Author Topic: aber house Nantymoel .( Llandyfodwg)  (Read 1997 times)

Offline pamela7416

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
aber house Nantymoel .( Llandyfodwg)
« on: Friday 05 January 18 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello . I am trying to find out who would have been in Aber House  in 1878-1879 According to my great grandfathers birth certificate   his mother was a domestic servant there  . I have found  records of  a Morgan family . Children listed as being born there   but cannot find it on the 1881 census 
Thomas Stubbs Morgan
Born 14th Dec 1880 Aber House . Nantymoel Wales
Died 15th Aug 1968 cowra , Australia

Sarah Jane Morgan
Born 1st March 1882 Aber House Nantymoel.
Died 1939 N.S. W. Australia

Alice Elizabeth Morgan
Born23rd May 1884 Aber House Nantymoel Wales
Died 20h July 1955 Australia
 I also found an obituary for a David  Jones   who died there in 1880.
I have  had information that Aber House was a Colliery Managers house  .so it would have different occupants  as the managers changed 
My great grandfather's mother was Elizabeth Thomas  (unmarried  when he was born )In 1881 she was with her parents in coity .

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: aber house Nantymoel .( Llandyfodwg)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 January 18 18:33 GMT (UK) »
I found a family living at Aber Houses, Llandyfodog, Bridgend, Glamorganshire, Wales

However looking at the original pages I found that Aber Houses covered from halfway down page 28 to first line of Page 33.

Registration district   Bridgend
Archive reference   RG11
Piece number   5328
Folio   18
Page   31

The above relates to the Jones family.  Most of the heads of households were coal miners.

I can't seem to find an Aber House for Llandyfodog itself.

Not quite what you were looking for perhaps.

Currently there is the following on Google maps

Aber House
Aber Rd
Ogmore Vale
Bridgend
CF32 7AU
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 January 18 21:54 GMT (UK) »
My great grandfather's mother was Elizabeth Thomas  (unmarried  when he was born )In 1881 she was with her parents in coity .

Just wondering why her sons name is Thomas Stubbs Morgan if she was unmarried when he was born  ???

Was he registered as Morgan or Thomas when he was born and are Sarah and Alice also Thomas or Morgan?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline pamela7416

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 January 18 00:20 GMT (UK) »
The Aber houses was a street of houses built for the colliery workers and their families .
As far as I know Elizabeth Thomas  isn't related to the Morgan family  but may have been employed  by them as  according to my great grandfathers  birth certificate  she was a domestic servant  there when he was born in1879. Servants are listed on the  census  but the next census is 1881 and  I cannot find Aber House on there,  or on the 1871 census . Elizabeth was  a Thomas before marriage  and  did marry  a George Thomas  in 1883.
 My great grandfather s birth certificate gives his fathers name as Alfred John Huxtable  but he  was Baptised as Alfred John Thomas  the name he always used 

Offline Chairperson

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 16:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Pamela 7416,

I'm afraid I can't spool back to the occupants of Aber House, Ogmore Vale as long ago as 1878/79. I can however, confirm that you're correct in saying that Aber House was a Colliery Manager's residence. My grandfather Thomas Williams (and his wife and four children) lived in Aber House in the 1930's and 1940's. The youngest of those four children was my father Alun Williams who had many memories of living (first at Clyddach Court) and growing up in Aber House, including hurtling down the steep drive on his "Fairy cycle" and/or "Gambo" and colliding with the gates at the bottom of the drive. Those same gates were taken off their hinges almost every Christmas morning by raucous (and probably inebriated- despite the Temperance Movement!) miners before waking the household with a rousing chorus of "Christians Awake".

Both my grandfather and grandmother were fervent Welsh speakers (and both were Gorsedd Bards) and when my father was growing up if he asked for anything in English, he was roundly ignored! There was a major age gap between my father's eldest sister (who actually taught him at school!). The next eldest sister subsequently married the Welsh poet, novelist and twice-Chaired bard T. Rowland Hughes.

I'm sorry not to have been able to answer the 1878/79 occupancy conundrum but thought some family recollections of Aber House might not go amiss.  I'm never sure whether the correct address is Ogmore Vale or Nantymoel (main claim to fame is that the Nantymoel fire-station burnt down!) but Aber House still proudly stands under the towering mass of the Bwlch.

Best wishes,

Chairperson

Offline monkeyman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 December 20 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Just noticed enquiries about Aber House at Aber Colliery near Caerphilly. The one-time manager was David Vaughan 1844-1923 [my great-uncle, known as 'Uncle Daffo']. Various records find him 'of Aber Colliery' in 1870, as 'Colliery Manager' in 1871, as Colliery Manager at Aber House in 1879; the 1881 census has him as a visitor at Llangynwyd, Bach Farm, but the next record has him at Aber House as 'Colliery Agent' in 1886, and he is enumerated in 1891 as 'Mine Colliery Agent , living at Aber House.  By 1891 he was retired, living elsewhere. 
He and his wife Alice [nee Pritchard, of Wick] had no children. 
I'd be glad if someone can confirm if Aber House still stands - I'm a bit far away from the Ogmore Valley now.  Merry Christmas! 

Offline Lola5

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 December 20 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Chairperson,
Sorry to interrupt this thread  but please can you tell me more about your relative at Clydach Court. I lived there for some years during the war.
It had been owned and built by Henry Llewellyn Grover for his family.
I an interested in its history and who lived there after the death of HLGrover.

Offline pamela7416

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 December 20 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello . monkeyman  .I started this thread a few years ago and am still not much the wiser . I went to Nantymoel in 2019  ,called in the library there  . The  librarian pointed out the house and  told me that there is a family living there .It  is on Aber Road as Chairperson said .  But I see you have said Carephilly   :-\ That is a good distance from Nantymoel and I am uncertain if I had the right place  .Is there another Aber House . :-\  To add to my confusion my great grandfathers birth certificate  says  his mother was a domestic servant at  Aber House Port Talbot  .  I enquired in Port Talbot  but they did not know of such a place there  .In my original post  I mentioned Morgan children being born there  ,but checking out their baptisms the addresses are different  . Any ideas  are wlcomed .