Author Topic: Finding Emily's Story  (Read 5667 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Finding Emily's Story
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 17:10 GMT (UK) »
cando
I am assuming the trees are at ancestry?
And Yes The Emily in these trees is My Emily Wright....but is she part of this family?? The million dollar question, how do I prove this?? There is NO Connection to date other than jumping leads. I have the death certificate of John Wright died Trangie 1936 and do believe strongly to be  be Emily's Father, but again how do I prove this?? The cert has no issue naming any children, no wife, no family. Lots of reports and articles in papers and oral stories but worth do they really hold?
Surely you have considered some DNA investigations   

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 85jbk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 05:39 GMT (UK) »
cando

Thank you for your suggestions, DNA was considered and something we undertook a couple of years ago now,involving several family members one being my oldest living aunt and granddaughter of Emily Hawkes nee Wright.

I have to say I feel no further advanced because of it however, with my lack of understanding of it all no doubt.

With My Aunt being the closest tested and sharing 25% DNA to Emily Hawkes nee Wright the result showed her mtDNA haplogroup was S2, with only one mtDNA match in two years! This match appears to not want any contact as no reply has been forthcoming to several emails.

With My Aunts Matches at FTDNA she shows 12 as being Paternal and None as being Maternal.

FTDNA My Origins described as:
 83% European

>British Isles >59%
>Southeast Europe > 13%
>West and Central Europe >8%
>Iberia >3%

&
15% Central/South Asian

>Oceania> 10%
>Central Asia >5%

and just for comparison My Heritage shows

83.6% Europe

> North and West Europe> 68.6%
>Irish, Scottish and Welsh> 46.2%
>English >5.4%
>Scandinavian> 17%

15 % South Europe

>Italian >8.3%
Iberian > 6.7%

12.3% Oceania 
>Papuan>6.4%
>Melanesian> 5.9%

Asia 4.1%
South Asia 4.1%

Further exploration is needed, just grasping a better understanding is needed to work through it all.
Jill

Wells-Eaglesfield,Dumfrieshire
Carlyle -Eaglesfield,Dumfrieshire
Underwood - Ruthwell,Dumfrieshire
Grierson - Ruthwell,Dumfrishire
O'Halloran- Limerick
Bryan (O'Brien)Limerick
Hawks/Hawkes - Staffordshire, England
Badgery - Staffordshire, England
Davis-  Cork- Ireland
Neville - Ireland
O'Toole - Limerick

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 06:29 GMT (UK) »
I thought you wanted to connect or prove that you and the other surviving descendants of John/Jack WRIGHT were related.  Would need to ask another descendant of John WRIGHT but not Emily WRIGHT nee HAWKES. I'm ignorant in these matters. 

My own family history is, as someone commented to me sometime ago, dead boring. So easily researched and well before so much information was online.  I really wish I could find a few skeletons to upset some snooty rellies...oh did I say that :-X :-X :-X :-X    So I really have no need to learn about DNA testing.  I have read though that some of the more easily obtained ie cheaper tests, are not all that definitive.  I may have misinterpreted the info....nothing new for me.

I'm sure someone who is an expert will come along and offer their opinion.

I think you need to take notice of some of the 'stories'.  Not everyone bothered to enrol to vote and as you have discovered, not everyone bothered to register their children's births.  Often it was the tyranny of distance from a local bdm registrar and often it is was ignorance.

Cheers
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 85jbk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Yes of course this is correct however when this is the only option available at the time you run with it until more willing participants want to also test, and to actually find a willing Wright descendant, which one and who do you ask and how much funds do you spend until you have the correct one, the process of illumination. I would also be happy to actually find the birth mother as well mentioned somewhere on the records located within our record system, something I have yet to find.

I have to comment that I also began researching back when the fishe were the source and researching was only available at the LDS centre or a local group who began in a small way. 
 and I have to say they were good days spent looking at all the old reels as well, spending hours trying to interpret them because in parts they were almost illegible. So over these many years i have amassed many papers and records. BUT not what I want to find the most.

Well you said it right there yourself.... you might have some skeletons in the closet just by testing, many a skeleton been found by way of DNA I would think!

Cheers and thanks again for all your input always valuable
O'Halloran- Limerick
Bryan (O'Brien)Limerick
Davis-  Cork- Ireland
Neville - Ireland
O'Toole - Limerick

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 03:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

The retired rellies 'brains trust' is still on the case!

Some questions :

Does that DNA report give any indication of Aboriginal heritage?

If so is it earlier than Jack - who may have been son of mixed marriage..

Have you checked for official court docs either QLD or NSW clues eg probate or sequestration for Jack or Thomas...

More questions tomorrow...

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline 85jbk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 08:00 GMT (UK) »
majm
Hi and good to hear from you again, go the "brains trust", what would we do without these wonderful rellies who like to help out. Thank You.

As I am not a DNA champion and my knowledge is very limited and only picked up from reading on sites of other DNA posters etc

From my understanding I can say that the only way it implies any aboriginal heritage is through the % listed as Oceania. This would need to be verified

however.

The following is a snipet from an explanation from FTDNA back in 2015.
The Reference populations used for FTDNA's myOrigins don't yet include separate clusters for Aboriginal or Maori ancestry- they would most likely be included in the "Southeast Asia" cluster at present, but hopefully they'll add more detail in the future.

Also interestingly and perhaps worth noting at this stage, but again My lack of DNA knowledge is unable to confirm this. Recently published was that of  Aboriginal DNA confirms Aboriginal people have a long-lasting connection to country, by lead researcher Professor Alan Cooper of the Australian Centre for Ancient DNA.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2017-03-09/dna-confirms-aboriginals-have-long-lasting-connection-to-country/8336284

If you watch the short video, it will show the map of the migration and also shows what I understand to be the different groups which are shown by different letters. Of one of these letters is the "S" group of people. My Aunts mtDNA haplogroup  is S2.

Is this a connection to this group of people in the area at that time????

I tried to contact several people to try and establish more understanding on this but to date no reply.

Please find a pm regarding official doc

Regards
Jill

O'Halloran- Limerick
Bryan (O'Brien)Limerick
Davis-  Cork- Ireland