Author Topic: George Williams & Mary Frances Darling  (Read 5012 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Williams & Mary Frances Darling
« Reply #18 on: Friday 12 January 18 09:07 GMT (UK) »
A Mary T Williams married Samuel Glendinning on 16 April 1938 at Holy Trinity, - according to an on-line search.

I wonder if this person may have been George and Mary's daughter?  If daughter married it may help to have her marriage record researched too to see if there is more information on George.  This might include whether it not he was still living or deceased.  This might give better information about what type of labouring work he did.  Witnesses may be someone connected to George.  Daughter Mary may have chosen a half sibling to be her witness.

I am on nightshifts at the moment but I think I will be able to get to the archives again the week after next if you agree it might be worth having daughter's marriage researched.  Perhaps, you could let me know if the person mentioned is their daughter or if you know the name of another spouse?  If anyone can find this sooner for you I am sure this would be great but if no one else can I would be happy to help with this.

Searches of local directories (such as Kelly's or Ward's) of that time period may also be helpful.  If Mary is named on an address for a particular year this may indicate she was then head of the household and George had died.

Finding Mary's burial record could narrow down her date of death and then death notices and memoriams could be looked for.  Death notice is very likely to reveal if husband was living or deceased.  Memoriams can sometimes reveal more information too or give more clues.  If Mary remained around the Eldon Street area then presuming she was buried this may have occurred at Harton Cemetery.  There is a link which somebody out there probably knows about which records the names of people who have grave stones there.  One researcher has taken photos of all the graves.  I can't remember the link off the top of my head but hopefully someone will know and attach the link to another post.

It would be good if George 's former spouse could be found somehow.

These are just some ideas to consider.  :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline aidansrest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 12 January 18 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Mary Teresa Williams did indeed marry Samuel Glendenning on the 16th April 1938, and then I believe they divorced as Mary remarried in South Shields to Frederick Charles Duffield on the 3rd February 1947.
One of their daughters has asked me to look into her family history, so it is possible that she may have some of her parents documentation.
On saying that, she knew nothing of Samuel, other than he and her mother divorced. She also knew very little of her father (Frederick) - not even the name of his father.

Mary Frances Williams died in South Shields (1st district) during the December quarter of 1956  (Register 8c - Entry 471).

She indicates that she is still married on the 1939 register, but I suspect that she and George may have parted.

It would be great if you could find anymore information as I work full and am unable to get through to South Shields.

Thanks again for your continued interest!

Sue

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 13 January 18 10:55 GMT (UK) »
I will see if I can find out a bit more for you.  Due to work (I also work full) this likely won't be until about another two weeks.

The second marriage appears to have taken place in a registry office judging from the codes on an on-line search.  However, I hope to find the first marriage.  Hopefully, more clues will be found which might be helpful in trying to nail this 'elusive George.'

Best Wishes :)

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline aidansrest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 13 January 18 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much...I'm extremely grateful for your help!

Sue

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 19 January 18 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Holy Trinity
Entry No: 336
16 April 1938
Mary Teresa Williams & Samuel Glendinning
There is an ink smudge over his age but this looks like 22
Her age: 19
Bachelor and Spinster
Samuel was a labourer
His residence: 28 Eldon Street
Her residence: 46 1/2 Eldon Street
His father: Thomas Glendinning - Boilerworker
Her father: George Williams - Labourer
Both signed names
Witnesses: Robert Glendinning and Janet Glendinning
By Banns

As the entry does not show 'deceased' next to George's name this may indicate he was still alive.

Offline aidansrest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 19 January 18 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Many, many thanks.

I shall pass this on to the lady concerned, I know that she will be very grateful (as Iam) for your interest and research.

Thanks again

Sue

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 19 January 18 13:24 GMT (UK) »
Harton Cemetery
Entry: 2337 Page 94
Mary Frances Williams
Widow
Age 72
Place where death occurred: 46a Eldon Street
Buried 21 November 1956
Place of Burial: Section T Grave No: 7907
In register T 90

PS:  You are very welcome - I just saw your post after posting this one.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 19 January 18 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Shields Daily Gazette - Tuesday November 20 1956

'WILLIAMS.- So. Shields. 46a Eldon Street on Nov. 19. aged 72 years, Mary Frances (nee Darling), dearly beloved wife of the late George.  Interment Wednesday.  Friends please meet at Harton Cemetery 2.45 p.m. Deeply mourned.'

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 19 January 18 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Memoriam notices
Shields Daily Gazette - November 19, 1957

'WILLIAMS.- Treasured memories of my dear mother died Nov. 19 1956. As I walk in the house and see your empty chair, I would give the world and all I owned if I could see you sitting there, for no one knows the pain or the longing to have you home again. - Always in the thoughts of her loving daughter Mary, son-in-law Fred and Grandchildren.'

WILLIAMS.- In loving memory of my dear sister Mary Frances Darling, who died Nov.19 1956. - Will never be forgotten by her loving sister Grace.

WILLIAMS. In loving memory of my dear aunt Mary who died Nov. 19 1956 - Always in the thoughts of Bella, George and family.'