Author Topic: Parents and birth registration/baptism for Mary Ann Dawson.  (Read 1325 times)

Offline Brutushedge

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parents and birth registration/baptism for Mary Ann Dawson.
« on: Monday 08 January 18 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help with more information or clarification of Mary Ann Dawson and her parents/siblings?

Mary Ann Dawson marries David Joseph Dunton (1864-1921), 22 July 1882 at St. John's , Cleethorpes, Lincolnshire.
She gives her age as 18 on the marriage certificate (b. 1864), but  she may have been younger. Death recorded November 1945, Cleethorpes, Lincs.
1891 census: living in Grimsby, Lincs, with husband David (listed as David S, but clearly a J on document) and children including Mary Ann, b. 1883, Grimsby. Mary Ann senior (1864) recorded as born 1866, Flitchum, Norfolk. Husband David b. Brancaster, Norfolk, and all his family have strong connections with Brancaster.
1911 census: living in Cleethorpes, Lincs, with David and children. Census completed and signed by David, again gives Mary Ann's b. as 1866, but birthplace as Gressnel, Norfolk. I am taking this as probably being Gressenhall? It's not a million miles from Flitchum, but far enough to raise questions. Were the 2 places linked by a common district?
I can find no record of the family in 1901 census, and in fact have had problems before with this census in Lincolnshire. Does anyone know if there is an official problem ie lost or damaged?
Searching baptism records, I initially found a Mary Ann Dawson baptised April 1 1866 in South Creake, Norfolk, to William Dawson and Winifred Money, but have since discovered she married John William Creamer in Nov 1864.
I have found a Mary Ann Dawson baptised April 17, 1864 in Letheringsett, Norfolk (not particularly near Flitchum or Gressenhall), parents Hushai (?) Dawson and Emily. There is also Sarah baptised the same day, so probably twins. Can anyone see more details?
As the 1911 census was completed by husband David, I am leaning towards this being the most accurate, but perhaps I'm wrong? There is also possible confusion in that David Dunton had a sister called Mary Ann b. Brancaster 1861. She and David appear on the 1881census, living at 150 Victor Street, Grimsby, Lincs., with parents William and Margaret Dunton. This Mary Ann is recorded on the same page as Mary Ann Hyldon, wife of Frederick Hyldon whom she married in 1880, and so is a double entry. I presume this is far from a unique mistake!
I have been unable to find any other Mary Ann Dawsons  that fit the birth date or place, but perhaps I've missed something. Can anyone give me any more details about Mary Ann's birth/parents/siblings?
Thanks as always.

Offline Brutushedge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Parents and birth registration/baptism for Mary Ann Dawson.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 January 18 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, correction! That should read married William Creamer in 1884.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 January 18 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Who does she name as her father on the marriage certificate?
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 January 18 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Here is the Hushi and Emily family, with children Sarah and MAry Ann amongst others.  It is quite common to see two children christened the same day, does not necessarily mean twins.

Thornage Norfolk
Hushi Dawson 32 Ag lab bn Thornage
Emily 28 bn Glandford
William 12
Sarah 10
Mary A 8  bn Thornage
Susanna 3
Thomas 1

but I would like to say if that is "your" Mary Ann or not, without knowing who she named as her father when she married.
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 January 18 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Hushi and Emily and still in Thornage in 1881 with a bevy of younger children.
Also there is a 17 yr old Polly, who could well be Mary?

Later censuses show more children, looks like Hushi and Emily had 14 in all.
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 January 18 15:20 GMT (UK) »
1901 census - think family has been transcribed as Durston with David showing as Daniel. Mary Ann showing as age 36 and born Fitcham.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Brutushedge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 January 18 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi lizdb
I can't find an image of the actual certificate. Have tried Ancestry, Familysearch, FreeBMD but can't find anything, which is part of the problem! Grateful of any suggestions.

Offline Brutushedge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 January 18 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Great Millmoor! That certainly looks like them.
So Flitcham again as the birth place.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 08 January 18 15:47 GMT (UK) »
I can't find an image of the actual certificate.
The 'actual' certificate can only be seen if you order it https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp
£9.25 after registering [or from the local Register Office] UNLESS you can see a copy of the church register on one of the paysites. There are some times when a certificate is the only way forward. Not only would you find out Mary Ann's father's name & occupation but the witnesses may be siblings.

ADDED: Findmypast has this record set
Lincolnshire, Parish Registers Browse, 1538-1911
Browse images from baptism, marriage and burial registers from Church of England parish churches in Lincolnshire, England. Explore baptism and burial records dating between 1538 and 1911 and marriage records between 1538 and 1837.

What parish is/was St John's church in?
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON