Author Topic: Blockley: lookups for Catherine Toms born 1760's.  (Read 2899 times)

Offline pimpernel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Blockley: lookups for Catherine Toms born 1760's.
« on: Monday 08 January 18 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello forum! I've a look-up request to confirm details of Catherine Toms of Blockley. First, for the marriage of William Haynes (or Haines) and Catherine Toms, 24th July 1786 in Blockley. FindMyPast had a reference to it as a marriage to William Harris, I'd like to clarify the details.

Assuming the marriage is correct, I've a tricky problem identifying Catherine Tom's birth too. A transcript list of Blockley parish records posted online shows two Catherine Toms births in the Blockley records:

20th April 1764, to John & Mary Toms
3rd January 1768, to John & Elizabeth Toms.

There is one burial mentioned:
"TOMS, Catherine, Female, no details who died of SMALL POX", Aston Magna 21 Aug 1779. 

So which of the two births does this child death correspond to? Baptism/burial notes of other siblings indicate John & Mary Toms (nee Jobson) lived in Aston Magna, though John & Elizabeth may have lived there too. In fact it could be the same John who remarried an Elizabeth after the death of Mary, though I've not found a record either for her death or a re-marriage.

I don't have access to the actual records, just a list on here: http://www.allthecotswolds1.com/ , so any help greatly appreciated!

If Catherine Toms in fact didn't marry William Haynes, I need to find out who did! Baptisms of his children state Catherine as their mother's name.

Many thanks!

Oxfordshire: SHAYLER, HERN,
Gloucestershire: MEADOWS, HERBERT,
Worcestershire: GRIFFIN, WOOD,
Denbighshire: WILLIAMS, JAMES, EDWARDS, DAVIES.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Blockley: lookups for Catherine Toms born 1760's.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 January 18 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Catherine Tomms & William Haines both of the parish - witness Hester Tomms & Thos Bea-croft (he witnesses other marriages
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pimpernel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 10:53 GMT (UK) »
That's reassuring Rosie99, many thanks!! Now I need to determine if Catherine Toms is the daughter of John & Mary or John & Elizabeth.

I've not found a birth record for William Haynes either, so more issues! But at least I know the marriage is as assumed now.

Offline pimpernel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 June 20 14:20 BST (UK) »
Just a follow-up to this following fresh research.  Hester Toms, one of the witnesses to Catherine's wedding, was baptised to John & Mary Toms of Blockley in 1763, so is either sister, or cousin to Catherine, depending which family Catherine was from. It seems most likely she was sister, thus suggesting Catherine is the 1764 baptism to John & Mary, not the 1768 baptised daughter of John & Elizabeth, who died young in 1779.

The Aston Magna family of John & Elizabeth Toms seem to have a tragic history - Ditchford was largely abandoned as a settlement at this time, but having settled in Aston Magna they lost at least three children in quick succession at the end of the 1770's to Small Pox.

Offline tracey51

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 August 20 14:10 BST (UK) »
Hi were asking about John H Hughes (Jackie) the footballer he has married to my great aunt Winifred she was born in 1908 eldest daughter of John Thomas James and Sinah Pierce, my grandad Reginald was born 1910 followed by John H. James, Albert,  Clifford and lastly Beryl. Winifred was a few years older than Jackie he was a professional footballer playing for several clubs