Author Topic: Can you help ID this manor house, possibly in Northumberland?  (Read 4859 times)

Offline FamilyPhotoReunion

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can you help ID this manor house, possibly in Northumberland?
« on: Monday 08 January 18 20:57 GMT (UK) »
I was given an old carte de visite photo album containing about 60 images.  I'm curious about the previous owners, and posted a story about it on my Family Photo Reunion blog.  I'm particularly interested in learning which manor house is featured in a photo inside the album.  Can you help? 

You can read more about the picture and the other images in the album at:

http://familyphotoreunion.blogspot.com/2013/06/mystery-manor-house-carte-de-visite.html

Thanks,
Carol

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can you help ID this manor house, possibly in Northumberland?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 11:18 GMT (UK) »
I don't immediately recognise the property, although I live in Newcastle and get around Northumberland often. However, reading the blogspot, I see that the family have a connection with Newbiggin, Westmoreland (Cumbria), so have you considered Newbiggin Hall, near Temple Sowerby, Cumbria.

Not found any similar images so far but here's a link:

http://www.matthewpemmott.co.uk/2008/01/newbiggin-hall-newbiggin.html

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Good morning,

I would say not, Newbiggin Hall is 3 stories and castelated. Has a chur h next to it as well.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 11:37 GMT (UK) »
The photo suggests a sprawling building - note that there is more to the left.

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Back again,

Still only 2 stories though Gadget.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 11:50 GMT (UK) »
I'm not suggesting it is that but commenting on the image. We're looking for a sprawling building, maybe Victorian but with add ons. It's worth considering the area that the family lived in:

There were quite a few leads to follow when I looked into the exact hits for "Arthur William James Cecil."  Of particular help was the Cambridge Alumni Directory, 1261-1900 on Ancestry.com which stated that Arthur was the son of Lord Arthur Cecil, born Apr. 4, 1875, at Newbiggin, Westmorland

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 11:53 GMT (UK) »
I missed the following bit about Arthur Cecil:

He died Sept. 26, 1936 at Rudgwick, Horsham, Sussex. He was connected to several residences including Finchcox Park, Goudhurst, Kent; and Orchardmains, Tonbridge, Kent. 

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 12:38 GMT (UK) »
I think there's been an error to which  Newbiqggin the family were associated with.  later censuses and birth registration suggest Newbiggin by the sea, Morpeth :

Arthur William J Cecil, Q2, 1875, Morpeth, 10b, 375.

So I'd say that we're looking at the Newbiggin/Blyth area of Northumberland.

Gadget

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 12:44 GMT (UK) »
I thought that the building to the left was a seperate dwelling set back a bit from the "big house", rather than it being another wing.

I don't think the style is grand enough to be connected to the main house - it would at least have been clad with an imposing facade if it was perhaps an older and less impressive looking wing.

It's an interesting looking house. I get an ecclesiastical vibe from it, perhaps related to the big windows on the left. Some kind of institution perhaps?