Author Topic: Can you help ID this manor house, possibly in Northumberland?  (Read 10680 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can you help ID this manor house, possibly in Northumberland?
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 11 January 18 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry of Cecil spouses family names (Of big house estates) and residences maybe the next step.

We'll look forward to your discoveries  :)

:-X
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 11 January 18 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry of Cecil spouses family names (Of big house estates) and residences maybe the next step.

We'll look forward to your discoveries  :)

I'm not that optimistic, nobles them days, like some wood ants - some have multi queen colonies & others have singular queen nests. (At boundary war with each nest)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 11 January 18 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Trying to pick up on a few clues from the photo:

There look to be hills in the background, and the photo was taken from a slightly elevated position - about first floor level. So I don't think it can be anywhere really flat.

To me the house looks to have been built all in the same style, with little evidence of dirt, weathering or aging, or extensions of a later date. This suggests to me that it might be 19th century, built in a ~17th century style.

I think there's some kind of coat of arms in the stonework above the window at the near end of the orangery. Carol (OP) - might you be able to scan just this at a high resolution, please?
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AJ100

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 11 January 18 14:58 GMT (UK) »
Agree with arthurk - the house looks to be Victorian built in the style of Elizabethan with a touch of Georgian thrown in. Prosperous Victorian businessmen were prone to displaying their new-found wealth in such a fashion.
Doesn't help with the location but if it was built by a Victorian industrialist, then up north would seem favourite.

AJ

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 11 January 18 21:08 GMT (UK) »
There are a couple if things about this house that seem a bit odd to me:

There does not appear to be a grand entrance or a drive which you might expect for a grand house - I can't even see an obvious front door.

The glazed wing/extension on the left has some flimsy looking stairs leading up to it. Does anyone have any idea what that wing is? Not a conservatory - there is not enough glass is there? An Orangery?

Might this photo be the back of the "house"?

Online Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 11 January 18 21:11 GMT (UK) »
My wondered if it was that it was taken from the back or side of the house.   :-\

Thought that the minute I first saw it.
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 11 January 18 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Trying to pick up on a few clues from the photo:

There look to be hills in the background, and the photo was taken from a slightly elevated position - about first floor level. So I don't think it can be anywhere really flat.

To me the house looks to have been built all in the same style, with little evidence of dirt, weathering or aging, or extensions of a later date. This suggests to me that it might be 19th century, built in a ~17th century style.

I think there's some kind of coat of arms in the stonework above the window at the near end of the orangery. Carol (OP) - might you be able to scan just this at a high resolution, please?

To the left of the conservatory there seems to be a high peak hill on the skyline that could suggest Wales, Lake district, Derbyshire peaks or Scotland
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 13 January 18 16:25 GMT (UK) »
I was given an old carte de visite photo album containing about 60 images.  I'm curious about the previous owners, and posted a story about it on my Family Photo Reunion blog.  I'm particularly interested in learning which manor house is featured in a photo inside the album.  Can you help? 

You can read more about the picture and the other images in the album at:

http://familyphotoreunion.blogspot.com/2013/06/mystery-manor-house-carte-de-visite.html

Thanks,
Carol

Hi Carol,

I'm not up on the type of photo as what the 'old carte de visite' are ?

May seem a bit of a daft question to ask :-[ ? but here goes  ???

Is the photo print in a cardboard surround square or oval frame ? if so!, have you had the photo out to check the cover part of the photo by the frame or the back of the photo.

:)

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 13 January 18 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Good afternoon,

Telepathic message from SB, it's WAI 12 before a rebuild in 1908ish. His best friends mothers cousin twice removed  fathers daughter never lived there. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)